January 1, 1972 |
Cotuí, Dominican Republic
|August 1, 1998, for the Milwaukee Brewers|
|Last MLB appearance|
|September 28, 2000, for the Milwaukee Brewers|
|Earned run average||5.36|
Roque began his professional baseball career in 1991 when he signed with the New York Mets minor league system. He did not pitch in the minor leagues until the following season, and spent six seasons in the Mets organization, winning no more than 6 games in a single season. After becoming a minor league free agent, Roque signed with the Brewers organization for the 1998 season. In his first year with the Brewers, he combined to win 10 games with the AA El Paso Diablos and the AAA Louisville Redbirds, recording a 5-2 record at Louisville.
Major League career
He was called up to the major leagues late in the 1998 season, and made his debut as a starter on August 1 against the Arizona Diamondbacks, earning a no-decision in his first start. Over the course of the season, Roque had a 4-2 record with a 4.88 earned run average. Coincidentally, during his first Major League season, Roque gave up both Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa's 64th home runs.
Roque spent much of the 2000 season in the minor leagues but did appear in four games with the Brewers over the course of the season. These were his last Major League appearances. His major league career ended with a 5-8 record and a 5.36 ERA.
Roque spent 2001 in the Boston Red Sox organization. He then played for the Tigres de México of the Mexican League in 2002–03. After one last brief comeback in Mexico in 2005, his professional career was over.
- "Rafael Roque". Retrosheet. Retrieved 2008-05-27.
- "Rafael Roque Statistics". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved 2008-05-27.
- "Rafael Roque Statistics – The Baseball Cube". The Baseball Cube. Retrieved 2008-05-27.
- "Rafael Roque Statistics (Minor Leagues)". Sports Reference, LLC. Retrieved 2008-05-27.
- "August 1, 1998 Arizona Diamondbacks at Milwaukee Brewers Play by Play and Box Score". Sports Reference, LLC. Retrieved 2008-05-27.
- "Hurricane, loss tempers Sosa's excitement over HRs". Associated Press. 1998-09-23. Retrieved 2008-05-27.
- "Rafael Roque 1999 Pitching Gamelogs". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved 2008-05-27.