Rail Settlement Plan

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Rail Settlement Plan (RSP) is a division of the Rail Delivery Group in the United Kingdom. It provides a wide range of common services to the UK's train operating companies and third-party providers of information and retail services.

UK rail ticket background

The green background of all UK rail tickets was made up of the repeated words "Rail Settlement Plan". In 2013, the railway started migrating to new ticket stock which uses the words "National Rail" instead.[1]

The company was established on the privatisation of British Rail primarily for the purpose of distributing the revenue received from the purchase of generic, non-company-specific train tickets. This revenue is split between the retailer and the train operating companies (TOCs) that run trains along the route. For example, the same railway ticket is valid from Bristol Temple Meads to Taunton on all services. The RSP provides a process to share the revenue between the two train operating companies that run trains along this route (Great Western Railway and CrossCountry).

Since privatisation, the company has increased the range of services it provides to train operators. The company now:

  • Collects retail sales data from 8,500 ticket issuing systems
  • Carries out the correct allocation of ticket revenue to train operators
  • Settles that revenue to the operators
  • Sets standards and accredits all industry ticket issuing systems
  • Maintains the central industry fares database and provides tools for train operators to set fares
  • Distributes fares, timetable, station and other industry data to ticket issuing and information systems
  • Provides the National Reservations Service enabling retailers to book reservations on all trains with reservable seats
  • Provides the capability to pick up preordered tickets at station ticket machines (Ticket-on-Departure)
  • Provides the industry standard ticket stock

The RSP allocates revenue to each TOC. It was originally distributed by system known as Capri, it was replaced in April 2002 by the ATOS Origin system. It set up by British Rail to distribute revenue to its sectors. The ticket seller receives 9% of the revenue, the remaining 91% is distributed by ORCATS to the TOCs.[2]

See also[edit]

References[edit]

  1. ^ "New ticket design - RailUK Forums". www.railforums.co.uk. Retrieved 2 September 2017.
  2. ^ What exactly is ORCATS? Rail issue 542 21 June 2006 page 58

External links[edit]