Rajiv van La Parra
Van La Parra playing for Wolverhampton Wanderers in 2015
|Full name||Rajiv Ramon van La Parra|
|Date of birth||4 June 1991|
|Place of birth||Rotterdam, Netherlands|
|Height||1.81 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|2015–2016||→ Brighton & Hove Albion (loan)||6||(2)|
|2016||→ Huddersfield Town (loan)||8||(0)|
|2019||→ Middlesbrough (loan)||3||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 22:00, 13 February 2019 (UTC)|
Rajiv Ramon van La Parra (born 4 June 1991) is a Dutch professional footballer who plays for Premier League club Huddersfield Town. A winger he can also play as a striker. He has also represented Netherlands U21.
Van La Parra played his first senior games in France with Caen before returning to the Netherlands in 2011 for a three-season-long stay with Heerenveen. In June 2014, he moved to England to join Wolverhampton Wanderers, who loaned him to Brighton & Hove Albion and Huddersfield Town before he joined the latter in 2016.
Van La Parra is a product of the Feyenoord youth system, but made his senior debut instead for French Ligue 1 club Caen on 8 November 2008, having agreed a four-year contract in June 2008. He cited the potential to reach the highest level while playing in France as the reason for his transfer.
The right winger made only two appearances for Caen's first team during his first season, and the club ended the campaign being relegated. Despite this relegation, Van La Parra would make only a further eight appearances as the team won promotion back to the top flight, but did register his first senior goal; against Guingamp on 5 April 2009. During these seasons, he instead gained playing time in Caen's second team that competed in the Championnat de France amateur.
In summer 2011, his contract was terminated and he returned to the Netherlands in search of a new club. After an unsuccessful trial at AZ Alkmaar, he eventually signed a one-year contract with fellow Eredivisie side Heerenveen on 30 August 2011. After scoring six times during 26 appearances in his debut season, Heerenveen elected to take up an option in his contract for two further seasons. Over these three seasons, Van La Parra made 94 appearances (including playing in the Europa League), scoring 16 times.
His contract from Heerenveen expired in the summer of 2014, and after rejecting a new contract, on 10 June it was announced that he would move to English Championship side Wolverhampton Wanderers, with whom he had signed a three-year contract. He made his debut in the first match on 10 August 2014 against Norwich City, and was named man of the match. He scored his first goal for Wolves against Fulham in the FA Cup on 13 January 2015. His first league goal came against future club Brighton & Hove Albion in a 1–1 draw on 14 March 2015.
On 26 November 2015, Van La Parra signed a loan deal with Brighton, lasting until 2 January 2016.
On 11 March 2016, after some speculation, Van La Parra signed on loan for fellow Championship side Huddersfield Town for the rest of the season, with the move becoming a permanent deal in the summer, on a three-year contract. He made his debut for the Terriers in the 4–1 West Yorkshire derby win against Leeds United at Elland Road on 19 March, and scored his first goal in their 1–0 win over his former club Wolves at the Kirklees Stadium on 27 August.
His first name Rajiv is a tribute to former Indian Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, the son of former prime minister Indira Gandhi, assassinated in May 1991. One of his half-brothers, Georginio Wijnaldum, currently plays for Liverpool, while another, Giliano Wijnaldum, plays for Sparta Rotterdam. His cousin, Giovanni Drenthe, is also a professional footballer, while another, Royston Drenthe, came out of retirement and now plays for Sparta Rotterdam.
- As of match played 6 October 2018
|Brighton & Hove Albion (loan)||2015–16||Championship||6||2||0||0||—||0||0||6||2|
|Huddersfield Town (loan)||2015–16||Championship||8||0||—||—||0||0||8||0|
- "List of players under written contract registered between 01/06/2016 and 30/06/2016" (PDF). The Football Association. p. 33. Retrieved 11 November 2016.
- "Van La Parra atout jeune et orange a Caen" (in French). Caen.maville.com. 20 June 2008.
- "Van La Parra" (in French). foot-national.com.
- "Rajiv de la Parra week op proef bij AZ" (in Dutch). fanvanaz.nl. 4 July 2011.
- "sc Heerenveen contracteert Van La Parra" (in Dutch). SC Heerenveen. 30 August 2011.
- "sc Heerenveen legt Rajiv van La Parra langer vast" (in Dutch). SC Heerenveen. 27 March 2012.
- "Rajiv van La Parra" (in Dutch). Voetbal International.
- "Van La Parra kan verlengen, Kum moet vertrekken" (in Dutch). SC Heerenveen. 23 April 2014.
- "Wolves sign Heerenveen winger Rajiv van La Parra". BBC Sport. 10 June 2014.
- "Wolves 3–3 Fulham". BBC Sport. 13 January 2015. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "Brighton 1–1 Wolves". BBC Sport. 14 March 2015. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "Man Utd's Wilson & Wolves' Van La Parra join Brighton on loan". BBC Sport. Retrieved 26 November 2015.
- "Huddersfield 1–0 Wolves". BBC Sport. 27 August 2016. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "Spotlight on Georginio Wijnaldum: Newcastle's new Dutch delight – Football Oranje". 12 July 2015.
- "R. VAN LA PARRA". Soccerway. Retrieved 4 February 2018.
- Woodcock, Ian (29 May 2017). "Huddersfield Town 0–0 Reading". BBC Sport. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rajiv van La Parra.|