Ralph T. H. Griffith
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Ralph Thomas Hotchkin Griffith (1826–1906) was a scholar of Indology.
He was born at Corsley, Wiltshire, on 25 May 1826. The son of the Reverend R. C. Griffith (Chaplain to the Marquess of Bath 1830), he was a B.A. of Queen's College and was elected to the vacant Sanskrit Scholarship on Nov 24, 1849. He translated the Vedic scriptures into English. He also produced translations of other Sanskrit literature, including a verse version of the Ramayana and the Kumara Sambhava of Kalidasa. He held the position of principal at the Benares College in India.
His translation of the Rigveda follows the text of Max Müller's six-volume Sanskrit edition. His readings generally follow the work of the great scholar Sayana who was Prime Minister at the court of the King of Vijaynagar - in what is now the District of Bellary in the Indian state of Karnataka - in the fourteenth century.
On his retirement he withdrew to Kotagiri, a beautiful hill station, some 7000 feet high, in the Nilgiris district, Madras, residing with his brother Frank, an engineer in the public works department of the Bombay presidency, who had settled there in 1879. At Kotagiri he tranquilly engaged in the study and translation of the Vedas. He died on 7 November 1906, and was buried there.
- The Ramayan of Valmiki (published 1870) (read online)
- Hymns of the Rigveda (published 1889) (read online)
- Hymns of the Samaveda (published 1893) (read online)
- Hymns of the Atharvaveda (published 1896) (read online)
- The Texts of the White Yajurveda (published 1899) (read online)
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Macdonell, Arthur Anthony (1912). "Griffith, Ralph Thomas Hotchkin". In Lee, Sidney. Dictionary of National Biography, 1912 supplement. London: Smith, Elder & Co.
- A. A. Macdonell, rev. J. B. Katz. "Griffith, Ralph Thomas Hotchkin (1826–1906)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/33580. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- Works written by or about Ralph T. H. Griffith at Wikisource
- Works by Ralph T. H. Griffith at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about Ralph T. H. Griffith at Internet Archive
- Works by Ralph T. H. Griffith at LibriVox (public domain audiobooks)