Ramabai Bhimrao Ambedkar
Ramabai Bhimrao Ambedkar
|Died||27 May 1935 (aged 37)|
|Other names||Ramai (Mother Rama), Ramu|
|Spouse(s)||B. R. Ambedkar|
Ramabai Bhimrao Ambedkar (7 February 1898 - 27 May 1935; also known as Ramai or Mother Rama) was the first wife of B. R. Ambedkar, who said her support was instrumental in helping him pursue his higher education and his true potential. She has been the subject of a number of biographical movies and books. A number of landmarks across India have been named after her.
Ramabai was born in a poor family to Bhiku Dhatre (Valangkar) and Rukmini. She lived with her three sisters and a brother, Shankar, in the Mahapura locality within the village of Vanand near Dabhol. Her father earned his livelihood by carrying baskets of fish from Dabhol harbour to the market. Her mother died when she was young and, after her father also died, her uncles Valangkar and Govindpurkar took the children to Bombay to live with them in Byculla market.
Ramabai married Ambedkar in 1906 in a very simple ceremony in the vegetable market of Byculla. At the time, Ambedkar was aged 14 and Ramabai was nine. His affectionate name for her was "Ramu", while she called him "Saheb".
Credit by her husband
Ramabai's life has been featured in the following:
Movies and drama
- Ramai, a 1992 drama directed by Ashok Gawli
- Ramabai Bhimrao Ambedkar (film), a 2011 Marathi language film
- Ramabai (film), a 2016 Kannada film
- रमाई (Ramai) by Yashwant Manohar
- त्यागवंती रमामाऊली (Tyagawanti Rama-mauli) by Nana Dhakulkar, Vijay Publications (Nagpur), 403 pages
- प्रिय रामू (Priya Ramu; English: Dear Ramu) - Yogiraj Bagul, Granthali Publication, pages - 230
Named after Ramabai
The following have been named after Ramabai
- Mata Ramabai Ambedkar Girls High-school, Gargoti, Tal- Bhudargad, Dist- Kolhapur
- Ramabai Ambedkar ground, a playground in Lucknow
- Matoshree Ramabai Ambedkar Maternity Home, a maternity home in Mumbai
- Ramabai Ambedkar High School, a school in Nasik
- Ramabai Ambedkar Nagar, a locality in Ghatkopar Mumbai
- Mathrusri Ramabai Ambedkar College Of Nursing, a nursing college in Bangalore
- Mathrusri Ramabai Ambedkar Dental College and hospital, a dental college in Bangalore established by the Anand Social & Educational Trust in 1986 and affiliated to Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences
- Ramabai Ambedkar Government Degree College Gajraula, Uttar Pradesh
- Khajane, Muralidhara (2016-04-15). "The life and times of Ramabai Ambedkar". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2018-01-19.
- "'Ramai' portrays poignant and tragic life of Ramabai Ambedkar - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2018-01-19.
- Manohar, Yashwant. Ramabai. India: Pratima Publications. p. 51. ISBN 9788192647111.
- "महापुरुषाची सावली". Loksatta (in Marathi). 3 December 2017. Retrieved 29 March 2018.
- "Mayawati lashes out at Modi for indulging in politics over Uttarakhand floods". Jagran Post. Retrieved 2018-01-19.
- "Mathrusri Ramabai Ambedkar College Of Nursing Bangalore Bangalore - Karnataka". Icbse.com. Retrieved 2018-01-19.
- "MRADC". Mradc.ac.in. Retrieved 2018-01-19.
- "Ramabai Ambedkar Govt. Degree College (RBAGDC), Gajraula - 2018 Admission, Courses, Fees". CollegeDekho.com. Retrieved 1 December 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ramabai Ambedkar.|