Ramesses (// or //), also commonly spelled Rameses or Ramses (//, //, or //), is the name conventionally given in English transliteration to 11 Egyptian pharaohs of the later New Kingdom period. Other variants of the name include Ramose and Paramessu; these various spellings could be used to refer to the same person.
The various forms are based on the Greek (Ραμεσσυς: Ramessus), Latin (Ramesses), or Hebrew (רעמסס: Raˁamses, Raˁmeses) forms of the name, all ultimately based on the Ancient Egyptian form: rˁ-ms-sw "Ra [is] the one who gave birth [to] him"
- Ramesses I: founder of the 19th Dynasty
- Ramesses II ("the Great")
- Prince Ramesses (prince), second son of Ramesses II
- Prince Ramesses-Meryamun-Nebweben, a son of Ramesses II
- Ramesses III: adversary of the Sea Peoples
- Ramesses IV
- Ramesses V
- Ramesses VI
- Ramesses VII
- Ramesses VIII
- Ramesses IX
- Ramesses X
- Ramesses XI
- Ramses, a former automobile and motor bike marque from the Egyptian Light Transport Manufacturing Company
- Pi-Ramesses, the biblical Rameses, founded by pharaoh Ramesses II on the former site of Avaris
- The fictional "Ramses XIII," protagonist of the 1895 historical novel Pharaoh by Bolesław Prus
- Ramesses, the eponymous protagonist's father in "Thamos, König in Ägypten" ("Thamos, King of Egypt", or "King Thamos", in English), a play by Tobias Philipp, for which Mozart wrote incidental music
- Ramesses (band), an English sludge/doom metal band, formed by ex-Electric Wizard members Tim Bagshaw and Mark Greening
- Ramases, an early-1970s-era British musician
- Ramses Emerson, a fictional character in the "Amelia Peabody" book series by U.S. author Elizabeth Peters
- Ramses the Damned, an alternate title of the novel The Mummy by Anne Rice
- Rameses (mascot), the mascot for the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- King Ramses, a minor villain in the animated cartoon Courage the Cowardly Dog
- Ramses, a summon creature in the Game Boy Advance game Golden Sun
- Ramses, a brand of condom manufactured by Durex
- Ramses Shaffy (1933–2009), Dutch singer
- Albert Marchinsky, an illusionist whose stage name was "The Great Rameses"
- MV Ramses, a German blockade runner sunk by HMAS Adelaide in 1942
- Ramsés VII, pseudonym used by Argentine singer-songwriter Tanguito (1945-1972)
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Ramesses.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.