22 November 1968 |
Qeqertarsuaq, Greenland, Denmark
|Alma mater||University of Waterloo|
|Occupation||Distinguished Engineer, Etsy|
Rasmus Lerdorf (born 22 November 1968) is a Danish-Canadian programmer. He created the PHP scripting language, authoring the first two versions of the language and participated in the development of later versions led by a group of developers including Jim Winstead (who later created blo.gs), Stig Bakken, Shane Caraveo, Andi Gutmans, and Zeev Suraski. He continues to contribute to the project.
Early life and education
Lerdorf was born in Disko Island on Greenland and moved to Denmark in his early years. Lerdorf's family moved to Canada from Denmark in 1980, and later moved to King City, Ontario in 1983. He graduated from King City Secondary School in 1988, and in 1993 he graduated from the University of Waterloo with a Bachelor of Applied Science in Systems Design Engineering. He contributed to the Apache HTTP Server and he added the LIMIT clause to the MSQL DBMS. A variant of this LIMIT clause had already been around for a decade in mainframe relational database management systems (like Oracle Rdb running on VAX/VMS, formerly from Digital Equipment Corporation), but apparently it had not yet been picked up by the emerging PC-based databases. It was later adapted by several other SQL-compatible DBMS. He released the first version of PHP in 1995.
From September 2002 to November 2009 Lerdorf was employed by Yahoo! Inc. as an Infrastructure Architecture Engineer. In 2010, he joined WePay in order to develop their application programming interface. Throughout 2011 he was a roving consultant for startups. On 22 February 2012 he announced on Twitter that he had joined Etsy. In July, 2013 Rasmus joined Jelastic as a senior advisor to help them with the creation of new technology.
Lerdorf is a frequent speaker at Open Source conferences around the world. During his keynote presentation at OSCMS 2007, he presented a security vulnerability in each of the projects represented at the conference that year.
Lerdorf also made an appearance at the WeAreDevelopers Conference 2017, making a speech on the history of PHP and the new PHP 7 release in 2017.
- @rasmus (26 Nov 2016). "I am a Danish citizen again after losing it becoming Canadian and DK now allowing dual
Tak @dalgaard_dw for alt du gør for udenlandsdanskere" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Rasmus Lerdorf" (PDF). K.C.S.S. Alumni Association. Retrieved 2013-02-21.
- "mod_info". Apache Reference. Archived from the original on 2001-02-22. Retrieved 2012-05-06.
- Wendel, Ulf. "MaxDB & PHP - Ready for the Web!". Archived from the original on 2011-06-06. Retrieved 2012-05-06.
- Kincaid, Jason (2010-04-27). "PHP Founder Rasmus Lerdorf Joins Group Payments Startup WePay". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2012-05-06.
- Lerdorf, Rasmus (2012-02-22). "Excited to be joining..." Twitter. Retrieved 2012-05-06.
- "The Creator Of PHP Shows Jelastic Support, As Advisor". Cloud Tweaks. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- "Rasmus Lerdorf Presentation at the OSCMS Summit 2007".
- "2003 Young Innovators Under 35". Technology Review. 2003. Retrieved August 15, 2011.
This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (August 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)