This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Redwood is a neighbourhood located in Ottawa's west end. The boundaries of the neighbourhood is Greenbank Road to the east, Baseline Road to the south, Morrison Drive (old Ottawa-Nepean border line) to the west and Highway 417 to the north.
Its sister neighbourhoods are Qualicum, Leslie Park, and Queensway Terrace.
Residential areas and community housing
The majority of residents live in apartments and townhouses located on the east and west ends of the neighbourhood. Detached homes are closer to west side along Morrison Drive.
The development in the area started in the 1960s and continued throughout the 1970s and 1980s. There are many strips of townhouses on Baseline Road and Draper Avenue. Draper Avenue also runs into the Qualicum community.
The Qualicum Woods housing development was retrofitted and refurbished over the past several years with hundreds of row houses improving the aesthetic of the area.
The Qualicum Woods Crossing condominium project is also underway with one building completed (the Stanley) and the others underway. The City of Ottawa recently published an amendment request to the building plan with an addition of a medical clinic/hospital.
There are two high-rise condominiums called the Redwoods Retirement Residence (bounded by Lisa, Draper and Greenbank) and Saxton and Birmingham Private which were built in the 1980s.
There are two schools in the area with both located next to each other on Draper Avenue:
- St.Paul's High School (Ottawa Catholic School Board 1999)-formerly Sir John A. MacDonald High School (which closed in 1987) and then used as Champlain Elementary School and Collège catholique Franco-Ouest by the Conseil des écoles catholiques du Centre-Est
- Grant Alternative School (Ottawa-Carleton District School Board) - home of 120 elementary students (Kindergarten to Grade 6) that began in 1991 and moved to current site in 2007 from 2720 Richmond Road. The building was formerly Christie Public School from 1969 to 2007
Redwood is also home to two city parks:
- Morrison Park - a large sports-oriented park (2 soccer fields, track, basketball courts and baseball diamond) and shared with St. Paul's High School
- Lisa Park - a parkette with playground and outdoor wadding pool
Commercial area is located along north side of Morrison Drive parallel to Highway 417. There is business park which is home to Lee Valley Tools (2 locations, one as retail store), private college Everest College, Trane, Vertias, Legere, Starr Gymnastics and Fitness and many small offices and businesses.
- "2785 Baseline in Ottawa, ON - Prices, Plans, Availability". www.buzzbuzzhome.com.
- "ماي ايجي - افلام عربي - افلام اجنبي - افلام هندي - افلام انمي - برامج - العاب - اغاني". qwcrossing.com.
- "Development Application Search-Application Details". app01.ottawa.ca.
- "Redwoods Retirement Residence Ottawa". Retirement Home Search. 24 August 2012.
- "Grant Alternative School Celebrates History, Achievement and Continued Success With A Relocation Community Concert - Ottawa News - News in Ottawa - OttawaKiosk.com".