|Single by Little River Band|
|from the album Sleeper Catcher|
|B-side||"So Many Paths"|
|Length||4:11 (album version)|
3:29 (7" version)
|Producer(s)||John Boylan, Little River Band|
|Little River Band singles chronology|
|Single by Madison Avenue|
|from the album The Polyester Embassy|
|Released||5 March 2001|
|Producer(s)||Andy Van Dorsselaer|
|Madison Avenue singles chronology|
"Reminiscing" is a 1978 song written by Graeham Goble, and performed by Australian rock music group Little River Band. It remains their greatest success in the United States, peaking at #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and #10 on the Easy Listening chart. The song is about a couple reminiscing about the past, with certain music (such as Glenn Miller or Cole Porter tunes) reminding them of certain memories.
"Reminiscing" was given a BMI Five Million-Air award for five million plays on US radio—the highest achievement ever for any Australian popular song.
According to Albert Goldman's biography, John Lennon named "Reminiscing" as one of his favourite songs. May Pang, erstwhile girlfriend of Lennon, said "Oddly, with all the fantastic music he wrote, "our song" was Reminiscing by the Little River Band."
Jazz Nouveau (2012) released 'Reminiscing' which is a collection of Little River Band songs with a jazz/latin twist.
In popular culture
- During American Idol’s 2007 broadcast of Idol Gives Back, Ben Stiller jokingly threatened to sing the song nonstop until $200 billion in donations was achieved.
- The song is featured in the Freaks and Geeks episode "Kim Kelly is My Friend."
- The song is featured in the film Monsters vs. Aliens.
- The song is heard playing in the background during a scene in Knocked Up with Seth Rogen and Paul Rudd at a Las Vegas hotel room.
- The song is featured in the HBO series Divorce.
- The song was used as a bumper for Tom Hatten's Family Film Festival.
Madison Avenue version
Australian band Madison Avenue covered the song during 2001. Their version became a top ten success in their home country.
Formats and track listings
- CD single
- "Reminiscing" (Da Classic Remix Edit)
- "Reminiscing" (Original Mix)
- "Everything You Need" (Olav Basoski Remix)
- "Reminiscing" (Da Classic Remix)
- "It's Alright" (Album Mix)
The song was also used in the movie "Date Night" and was played in the background during the Las Vegas scene of "Knocked Up". An instrumental of the song is played during the "Strike Out" episode of the sitcom "King Of Queens". The song is included in the Soundtrack for the movie "Monsters Vs. Aliens", and was prominently featured in one of the movie's dance scenes.
|Australian ARIA Singles Chart||9|
|Australian ARIA End of Year Singles Chart||9|
- Fontenot, Robert. "Soft Rock Music and Songs - Oldies Music". Oldies.about.com. Retrieved 2016-10-13.
- "Reminiscing by Madison Avenue". rateyourmusic.com.
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961-2001. Record Research. p. 147.
- "Marvelous May..." ncf.ca. 23 September 2003. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
- Lemire, Christie (4 August 2010). "Review: 'The Other Guys' goofs on buddy-cop movie cliches, and it actually works". The Canadian Press. Retrieved 29 August 2010.
- "Thumbs Carllile special limited edition CDs". Thumbscarllile.com. 2004-06-22. Retrieved 2016-10-13.
- BenStillerTube (4 March 2008). "American Idol - Ben Stiller singing" – via YouTube.
- "Freaks and Geeks - S1E4 "Kim Kelly is My Friend" Music and List of Songs". What-song.
- "Reminiscing (From". tidal.com.
- "DIVORCE (Season 1) - Song/Music List". lyricsoundtrack.com. 7 October 2016.
- "Reminiscing by Little River Band Songfacts". www.songfacts.com.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book Ltd. ISBN 0-646-11917-6. NOTE: Used for Australian Singles and Albums charting from 1974 until ARIA created their own charts in mid-1988. In 1992, Kent back calculated chart positions for 1970–1974.
- "Image : RPM Weekly - Library and Archives Canada". Bac-lac.gc.ca. Retrieved 2016-10-13.
- "Image : RPM Weekly - Library and Archives Canada". Bac-lac.gc.ca. Retrieved 2018-11-15.
- "charts.org.nz". Retrieved 2018-11-04.
- Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles 1955-1990 - ISBN 0-89820-089-X
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 19 February 2015. Retrieved 10 July 2016.
- "Billboard Top 100 - 1978". Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- "Top 100 Hits of 1978/Top 100 Songs of 1978". Musicoutfitters.com. Retrieved 2016-10-13.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 29 October 2014. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- "ARIA Charts - End of Year Charts - Top Australian Singles 2001". Aria.com.au. Retrieved 2016-10-13.