|Single by Little River Band|
|from the album Sleeper Catcher|
|B-side||"So Many Paths"|
|Genre||Pop rock, soft rock|
|Length||4:11 (Album version)
3:29 (7" version)
|Producer(s)||John Boylan, Little River Band|
|Little River Band singles chronology|
|Single by Madison Avenue|
|from the album The Polyester Embassy|
|Released||5 March 2001|
|Producer(s)||Andy Van Dorsselaer|
|Madison Avenue singles chronology|
"Reminiscing" is a 1978 song written by Graeham Goble, and performed by Australian rock music group Little River Band. It remains their greatest success in the United States, peaking at #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and #10 on the Easy Listening chart. The song is about a couple reminiscing about the past, with certain music (such as Glenn Miller or Cole Porter tunes) reminding them of certain memories.
"Reminiscing" was given a BMI Five Million-Air award for five million plays on US radio – the highest achievement ever for any Australian popular song.
According to Albert Goldman's biography, John Lennon named "Reminiscing" as one of his favourite songs. May Pang, erstwhile girlfriend of Lennon, said "Oddly, with all the fantastic music he wrote, "our song" was Reminiscing by the Little River Band."
Jazz Nouveau (2012) released 'Reminiscing' which is a collection of Little River Band songs with a jazz/latin twist. Featuring five female vocalists, Emma Pask, Evelyn Duprai, Danielle Blakey, Anthea White and Anita Spring. Proceeds from the sale of this CD go to Variety - The children's charity. http://www.jazznouveau.com.au
The Rise (Carl Riseley album) included a jazz cover of the song.
In popular culture
- During American Idol's 2007 broadcast of Idol Gives Back, Ben Stiller jokingly threatened to sing the song nonstop until $200 billion in donations was achieved.
- In the American Dad! episode Permanent Record Wrecker, Avery Bullock (voiced by Patrick Stewart) is heard singing it in the elevator.
Madison Avenue version
Australian band Madison Avenue covered the song during 2001. Their version became a top ten success in their home country.
Formats and track listings
- CD single
- "Reminiscing" (Da Classic Remix Edit)
- "Reminiscing" (Original Mix)
- "Everything You Need" (Olav Basoski Remix)
- "Reminiscing" (Da Classic Remix)
- "It's Alright" (Album Mix)
The song was also used in the movie "Date Night" and was played in the background during the Las Vegas scene of "Knocked Up". An instrumental of the song is played during the "Strike Out" episode of the sitcom "King Of Queens". The song is included in the Soundtrack for the movie "Monsters Vs. Aliens", and was prominently featured in one of the movie's dance scenes.
|Australian ARIA Singles Chart||9|
|Australian ARIA End of Year Singles Chart||9|
- Soft Rock Music - What is Soft Rock? - Oldies Music Songs and Artists
- ARIA Charts - Accreditations - 2001 Singles
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961-2001. Record Research. p. 147.
- "Marvelous May...". ncf.ca. 23 September 2003. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
- Lemire, Christie (4 August 2010). "Review: 'The Other Guys' goofs on buddy-cop movie cliches, and it actually works". The Canadian Press. Retrieved 29 August 2010.
- Tom Hatten (I) - Biography
- Thumbs Carllile albums
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book Ltd. ISBN 0-646-11917-6. NOTE: Used for Australian Singles and Albums charting from 1974 until ARIA created their own charts in mid-1988. In 1992, Kent back calculated chart positions for 1970–1974.
- ARIA Charts - End of Year Charts - Top Australian Singles 2001