|Studio album by Tord Gustavsen Ensemble|
|Released||October 12, 2009|
Rainbow Studio, Oslo
|Tord Gustavsen chronology|
This section does not cite any sources. (September 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Outstanding poetry has a funny way of yielding up secrets to readers at the strangest time. Some of W.H. Auden’s poetry seemed to call upon the Norwegian jazz pianist Tord Gustavsen, when on tour in Oxford. The compositions of Gustavsen are consistently intriguing, evolving slyly at odd angles, often ending someplace completely unexpected. the band is a completely new constellation with Mats Eilertsen as a substitute of Harald Johnsen after his illness. Kristin Asbjøørnsen is one of the "old" companions of Gustavsen, and his music fits perfectly for her distinctive voice.
Gustavsen continues to be a marvel of economical invention, a player who speaks little but says much. Restored, Returned is a logical extension/expansion on his previous ECM releases, as his nuanced, tender playing eschews stereotypical references to Norwegian music as icy or cool, even as "The Way In" cinematically traverses imaginary bodies of water explored regularly by pianist Ketil Bjørnstad. But with more colors at his disposal and a greater attention to song form—even as the result feels somehow freer—Gustavsen has shaped an album even more appealing in its subtle but unmistakable experimentation[.]
- "The Child Within" (3:48)
- "Way In" (4:29)
- "Lay Your Sleeping Head, My Love" (2:50)
- "Spiral Song" (4:01)
- "Restored, Returned" (5:55)
- "Left Over Lullaby No. 2" (4:44)
- "The Swirl/Wrapped In a Yielding Air" (5:23)
- "Left Over Lullaby No. 1/O Stand, Stand At the Window" (7:18)
- "Your Crooked Heart" (3:41)
- "The Gaze" (5:39)
- "Left Over Lullaby No. 3" (3:04)
- Tord Gustavsen - piano
- Kristin Asbjørnsen - vocals (tracks: 3-8, 11)
- Tore Brunborg - tenor saxophone (tracks: 4-8, 10) & soprano saxophone (track: 1)
- Mats Eilertsen - double bass (tracks: 2-10)
- Jarle Vespestad - drums (tracks: 2-10)
- Design – Sascha Kleis
- Engineer – Jan Erik Kongshaug
- Cover photography – Jan Fricke
- Liner photos – Hans Fredrik Asbjørnsen
- Producer – Manfred Eicher
- Words By – W. H. Auden (tracks: 3, 5, 7, 8)
- All compositions by Tord Gustavsen
- Lyrics in tracks 3, 5, 7 & 7 are from Auden's "Another Time"
- Recorded in January 2009 at Rainbow Studio, Oslo
- Producer Manfred Eicher at ECM Records
- Fordham, John (2009-10-15). "Tord Gustavsen Ensemble: Restored, Returned (ECM) - Review". The Guardian. Retrieved 2012-12-09.
- Kelman, John (2010-02-11). "Tord Gustavsen Ensemble: Restored, Returned (2009) Review". All About Jazz. Retrieved 2012-12-09.
- "Tord Gustavsen Ensemble – Restored, Returned". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2012-12-09.