Rez dog (or reservation dog) is usually a term for outdoor, stray, and feral dogs living on Indian reservations in the United States and Canada. The term has taken on many connotations, and has to some extent become an emblem of and metaphor for reservations, reservation life, and Native Americans in general. For example, a "rez dog" may refer to a Native American resident of a reservation.
The distinction between a reservation dog and American dogs in general is often seen as emblematic as the difference between First Nation and majority culture way of life. Untended dogs roaming First Nation reservations and other rural First Nation communities cause problems that the communities must deal with. They are generally thought of as mixed-breed and unsupervised.
In commerce and literature
- "SmammalRanch Rez Dog Fund & Rescue". Adoptapet.
- Winona Laduke (2007). The Nature of Dogs:Ishkoniganiisimoog:the rez dogs. Simon and Schuster. ISBN 978-1-4165-4287-2.
- Bruce Elliott Johansen (2007). The Praeger Handbook on Contemporary Issues in Native America: Linguistic, ethnic, and economic revival. Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 337. ISBN 978-0-275-99139-5.
- Mary Annette Pember. "Rez Vignettes: The Good Life of a Reservation Dog". Daily Yonder.
- Linda Thornton (2006-08-14). "UNM-Gallup Professor Copyrights Plans for 'Rez Dog-Proof' Solar Oven". University of New Mexico.
- Miles Morrisseau (2000-02-09). "From the editor's desk...No tears for the Rez Dog Maggie". Indian Country Today. Archived from the original on 2012-10-25.
- Jeff Horwich, (2003-02-06). "Cultural broadcasting: Radio show a rare outlet for Indian voices and music". Minnesota Public Radio.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- Elizabeth Camacho Wiley (2003-01-31). "Norman, Okla.-Based Clothing Entrepreneur Logs Miles, Hours to Push Line". The Daily Oklahoman.
- "Rez Dog Clothing Company Takes Bite of American Indian Apparel Industry". Indian Country Today. 2003-02-12.
- Peter G. Beidler and Gay Barton (2006). A reader's guide to the novels of Louise Erdrich. University of Missouri Press. ISBN 978-0-8262-1671-7.