|Born||February 4, 1985|
Livingston, New Jersey, United States
|Occupation||Director, writer, producer, actor|
|Southside with You (2016)|
Tanne was born and raised in the township of Livingston, New Jersey. He attended Livingston High School, graduating in 2003. As a teenager, Tanne's writing led to him being the recipient of the New Jersey Governor's Award for Excellence in Arts Education for playwriting.
Following his initial success as a teenage writer, Tanne was announced as the winner of the Young Playwrights Inc. National Playwriting Competition, which was founded by Stephen Sondheim. Other recipients include filmmaker Kenneth Lonergan and playwright Rebecca Gilman.
In December 2014, it was announced that Tanne would make his feature directorial debut on the romance film Southside with You, for which he also wrote the script. The film is based on the first date of American President Barack Obama and his wife Michelle Obama, in Chicago, Illinois in 1989. Around the same time, Tika Sumpter was announced as cast in the role of Michelle Obama, and also co-produced. Principal photography on the film began on July 13, 2015 on location in Chicago, and wrapped on July 31, 2015.
In October 2017, Deadline Hollywood reported that Tanne sold a genre pitch to Sony Pictures in a bidding war. Though the plot was not disclosed, Tanne is set to write and direct the film. It was also reported that he will next direct an original screenplay entitled Vienna.
On June 14, 2019, Amazon Studios announced that production was underway in New Jersey on Chemical Hearts, a teenage coming-of-age, romance drama with Tanne writing, directing and producing and Lili Reinhart starring and executive producing. Tanne adapted the screenplay from Krystal Sutherland's novel, Our Chemical Hearts.
|2005||2001 Maniacs||Feature Film||Yes|
|2010||Cinema Cool||Web Series||Yes|
|2011||Swamp Shark||TV Movie||Yes|
|2011||The Nine Lives of Chloe King||TV Series||Yes|
|2014||Mischief Night||Feature Film||Yes|
|2014||Worst Friends||Feature Film||Yes||Yes|
|2016||Southside with You||Feature Film||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|2019||Chemical Hearts||Feature Film||Yes||Yes||Yes|
- "Richard Tanne Biography". IMDb.
- "Livingston High School TV Studio Fundraising Telethon to be Held", TAP into Livingston, June 7, 2014. Accessed August 5, 2019. "The telethon will also include vintage film clips including Tony winner Nikki M. James (’99), actor Adam Pally (’00), filmmaker Rich Tanne (’03), sportscaster Bruce Beck (’74), actor Jason Alexander (’77), with segments featuring bands, celebrity guests, best programs, and more."
- "Governor's Awards in Arts Education Award Recipients". State of New Jersey, Department of Education. May 2003.
- "Congrats 2011 National Winners". Wordplay (Young Playwrights Inc.). August 2011.
- "Sondheim and Others Perform Cut Songs at Young Playwrights Benefit, May 9". Retrieved September 15, 2015.
- Barton, Steve (May 26, 2010). "George Romero Keeps Cinema Cool". Dread Central.
- "Another Shark Movie in 2011". Horror Society. March 17, 2011.
- "Interview with 'Swamp Shark' Star, Richard Tanne". Horror Society. June 24, 2011.
- "Lionsgate Brings 'Mischief Night' Early This Year - Bloody Disgusting!". Bloody Disgusting!. Retrieved April 1, 2016.
- McNary, Dave (December 5, 2014). "Barack and Michelle Obama's First Date Subject of New Movie". Variety. Retrieved December 8, 2014.
- Yamato, Jen (December 5, 2014). "Obama Romance Movie in Works – Who Will Play Young Barack?". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 7, 2014.
- "Exclusive Interview: Mischief Night director Travis Baker. "It sets itself apart from the pack."". Horror Society. May 2, 2014.
- "Southside With You". www.rottentomatoes.com. August 19, 2016. Retrieved April 1, 2016.
- "Southside with You (2016) - Box Office Mojo". www.boxofficemojo.com. Retrieved April 1, 2016.
- Hipes, Patrick (October 26, 2017). "'Southside With You' Writer-Director Richard Tanne Sells Genre Pitch To Sony". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved November 11, 2017.