Education and career
While studying at the University of Colorado Boulder, Alden co-founded his first company with Jim Gardner in 1986—National Snowboard Inc (NSI), an events and marketing company producing consumer, amateur, and pro-snowboarding events nationwide. When NSI moved to Denver, Rick transferred to the University of Colorado Denver, where he received his Bachelor of Arts in political science. Alden launched his second venture in 1995, designing and patenting the first step-in snowboard boot and binding system. This venture was co-founded with snowboard industry veteran Brett Conrad, and launched under the brand name, Device Manufacturing.
In 2003, Alden formed Skullcandy designing products that offered consumer audio solutions conducive to an active lifestyle. The first Skullcandy product – the Skullcandy Portable LINK – was introduced at the 2003 Consumer Electronic Show (CES) in Las Vegas, where it won its first Design and Innovation Award. A few weeks later, the brand was launched to the action sports industry at the SnowSports Industries America Snow Show.
Alden holds a design patent for the Orvis Batternkill Large Arbor Fly Fishing Reel.
Awards and recognition
In 2008, Alden was featured as #31 in (#1 in Consumer Electronics Category) Inc Magazine's Inc 5000 Award for Skullcandy's three-year (2004–2007) growth. In December 2009, Rick was named "Entrepreneur's Entrepreneur of the Year" and appeared on the cover of the January 2010 issue.
Alden resides in Park City, Utah. He is the grandson of Rose Marie Reid, an American swimsuit designer.
- "Rick Alden, Plus550 LLC: Profile & Biography". Bloomberg. 15 October 2016. Retrieved 26 November 2016.
- "United States Patent: 5660410". United States Patent and Trademark Office. August 26, 1997. Retrieved 2015-07-05.
- Bekker, Joe (2008-09-01). "How I Did It: Joe Bekker, Thrustmaster of Texas - Manufacturing Industry Leaders". Inc. Retrieved 2015-07-05.
- "Patent Monkey: Skullcandy Patents LINK between Cell Phone and iPod". TechCrunch. Retrieved 26 November 2016.
- "United States Patent: D443017". United States Patent and Trademark Office. May 29, 2001. Retrieved 2015-07-05.
- Entrepreneur Archived January 2, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.