Ride (2014 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Helen Hunt|
|Produced by||Greg Little
|Written by||Helen Hunt|
|Music by||Julian Wass|
|Edited by||William Yeh|
|Distributed by||Screen Media Films|
Ride is an 2014 American drama film written and directed by Helen Hunt. The film stars Helen Hunt, Luke Wilson, Brenton Thwaites and Leonor Varela. The film had a limited release in theaters and was released on video on demand beginning on May 1, 2015 by Screen Media Films.
A mother travels cross-country to California to be with her son after he decides to drop out of school and become a surfer.
- Helen Hunt as Jackie
- Luke Wilson as Ian
- Brenton Thwaites as Angelo
- Leonor Varela as Danielle
- David Zayas as Ramon
- Richard Kind as Boss
- Mike White as Roger
- Jay Huguley as Co-Worker
- Callum Keith Rennie as Tim
On July 30, 2013 Deadline reported that Helen Hunt would star, direct and produce her script of a surf film Ride. She produced the film with Greg Little and Lizzie Friedman. Upon closing of the distribution rights with Screen Media Films, it was announced that the film would be dedicated to her father and the film's surf-photographer Sonny Miller after his passing in 2014. In 2015, Hunt memorialised her friend and their experiences filming the surfing scenes in, "Sonny Miller's Lesson for Us All: 'Nature Dictates'", for The Huffington Post.
In September 2014, it was announced Screen Media Films had acquired distribution rights for the film with a planned 2015 release. The film had its world premiere at the AFM on November 8, 2014. The film also premiered at the San Francisco International Film Festival on April 25, 2015. The film was released in the United States in a limited release and through video on demand on May 1, 2015.
Ride received mixed reviews from critics. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a rating of 48%, based on 27 reviews, with a rating of 5.9/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "Ride reaffirms Helen Hunt's immense acting talent -- but suggests that she still needs time to develop as a director." On Metacritic, the film has a score of 48 out of 100, based on 16 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
- "Helen Hunt Gets Coin And Cast For 'Ride;' She Stars, Directs, Produces Her Script". deadline.com. 30 July 2013. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- Benardello, Karen (2011-10-20). "Helen Hunt's Life Goes For a Ride In Comedy's Trailer, Poster and Stills". Shockya.com. Retrieved 2015-05-09.
- Chang, Justin (27 April 2015). "Film Review: 'Ride'". Variety magazine. Retrieved 4 August 2015.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (9 September 2014). "Helen Hunt's 'Ride' Gets Screen Media Deal". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 14 May 2015.
- Hunt, Helen (30 April 2015). "Sonny Miller's Lesson for Us All: 'Nature Dictates'". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 14 May 2015.
- "Helen Hunt wipes out filming her new movie Ride". splashnewsonline.com. 9 August 2013. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- "Helen Hunt Films Swimsuit Scene For 'Ride' At Venice Beach". huffingtonpost.com. 6 August 2013. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- Name * (2014-09-11). "Films Takes "RIDE" with Helen Hunt". Screen Media. Retrieved 2015-05-09.
- "AFM (American Film Market)". ScreenDaily. Retrieved 2015-05-09.
- "Ride". SFFS. Retrieved 2015-05-09.
- "Ride (2015)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2015-05-09.
- "Ride Reviews". Metacritic. 2015-05-01. Retrieved 2015-05-09.