Rifts: Promise of Power
|Rifts: Promise of Power|
|Genre(s)||Tactical role-playing game|
|Mode(s)||Single player, multiplayer|
Rifts: Promise of Power is a 2005 video game licensed for the Rifts role-playing game (RPG) from Palladium Books. It was available for pre-order since the spring when it was slated for an autumn release. It was later released in October for the Nokia N-Gage. It is currently the first and only adaptation of the Rifts RPG series to an electronic media format. Due to the failure of the N-Gage platform in the North American market, however, the game is very difficult to find.
Character classes available in Promise of Power represent a broad but shallow sampling of the hundreds presented in the RPG series. There are three proto-classes from among which players can select at the outset of the game: Mercenary, Psionic, and Magic User. Upon reaching fourth level, players may choose a specialization such as Borg, Burster, or Ley Line Walker, some of which are restricted based on proto-class. One character class specially designed for the game – the Elemental Fusionist – was adapted into the Rifts Ultimate Edition core rulebook.
Promise of Power is set on Rifts Earth, a post-apocalyptic world a few hundred years in the future. It features advanced technology, magic and psionic powers, alien and monstrous beings from other dimensions, mutants, and vampires.
The game covers five different locations on Rifts Earth from the RPG sourcebooks:
- Free Quebec
- New German Republic
- North America (including Coalition States Chi-Town and the 'Burbs)
- "Rifts: Promise of Power". IGN.
Release Date: October 31, 2005
- Coleman, Stephen (27 October 2005). "Rifts: Promise of Power Hits N-Gage". IGN. Archived from the original on 30 December 2005.
Nokia today announced that it has shipped Rifts®: Promise of Power TM, heralding a new era in tactical role playing as this renowned pen-and-paper RPG meets video gamers for the first time.
- Tierney, Adam (17 September 2004). "Rifts: Promise of Power (Preview)". IGN. Archived from the original on 6 October 2016. Retrieved 9 March 2017.
- "Rifts: Promise Of Power". Nokia. Archived from the original on 27 March 2005.
Release Date: Fall 2005
- "Rifts: Promise of Power (ngage: 2005): Reviews". Metacritic. Archived from the original on 13 September 2008. Retrieved 9 March 2017.
- Leeper, Justin (19 January 2006). "Rifts: Promise of Power". GameSpy. Retrieved 9 March 2017.
- Rifts: Promise of Power at MobyGames
- Rifts: Promise of Power official website Archived from the original on March 4, 2008
- Palladium press release which mentions game unavailability