Rise of the Tyrant
|Rise of the Tyrant|
|Studio album by|
|Released||24 September 2007|
|Recorded||March – May 2007|
|Studio||Studio Fredman, Sweden|
|Genre||Melodic death metal|
|Producer||Fredrik Nordström and Michael Amott|
Daniel Erlandsson (co-production)
|Arch Enemy chronology|
|Singles from Rise of the Tyrant|
Vocalist Angela Gossow commented on Rise of the Tyrant on the band's website that:
I experimented quite a bit with doubling vocal lines on the last album, which I now feel kind of took personality and vocal attack away. So this time it's the classic, one-vocal-track, no-frills, no-effects approach.
I put a lot of work and emotions into the lyrics, some of them actually made me cry, most of them made me very, very angry. They deal with the pain and losses we cause each other. To balance these gloomy themes out, we managed to write some lyrics in the vein of 'We Will Rise' — you know, fight songs! There is not only suffering and injustice in this world, but also hope, love and friendship .
Guitarist Michael Amott described it as:
...the ultimate Arch Enemy album!!! To me, this album sounds like the perfect mix of melody and brutality. This album is an organic and honest statement from the band — it's pure fucking metal at its absolute best, the Arch Enemy way! Producer Fredrik Nordström did a killer mix on the record — the sound is big and intense!
|1.||"Blood on Your Hands"||Angela Gossow||Michael Amott, Christopher Amott||4:41|
|2.||"The Last Enemy"||Gossow||M. Amott, C. Amott||4:15|
|3.||"I Will Live Again"||Gossow||M. Amott, Daniel Erlandsson, C. Amott||3:32|
|4.||"In This Shallow Grave"||M. Amott||M. Amott, C. Amott, Erlandsson||4:54|
|5.||"Revolution Begins"||M. Amott||M. Amott, C. Amott||4:11|
|6.||"Rise of the Tyrant"||Gossow||M. Amott||4:33|
|7.||"The Day You Died"||Gossow, M. Amott||M. Amott, Erlandsson||4:52|
|8.||"Intermezzo Liberté" (instrumental)||M. Amott||2:51|
|9.||"Night Falls Fast"||Gossow||M. Amott||3:18|
|10.||"The Great Darkness"||Gossow||M. Amott||4:46|
|11.||"Vultures"||Gossow||C. Amott, M. Amott||6:35|
|Japanese bonus track|
|12.||"The Oath" (Kiss cover)||Paul Stanley, Bob Ezrin, Tony Powers||4:16|
Also available is a limited edition version including a bonus 3" DVD with two live tracks and a documentary on the band's tour of South America.
South American Doomsday 2007:
- "I Am Legend / Out for Blood (live)" – 5:25
- "Diva Satanica (live)" – 4:29
- "Arch Enemy - South American Tour" − 16:07 (Includes backstage footage, fan meeting, etc.)
- "Blood on Your Hands"
- "Revolution Begins"
- "I Will Live Again"
|Billboard Top Rock Albums||22|
|Billboard Rock Albums||12|
|Billboard Hard Rock Albums||10|
|Billboard European Albums Chart||61|
|Swedish Album Chart||20|
|Austrian Album Chart||50|
|Swiss Album Chart||65|
|French Album Chart||72|
|Dutch Album Chart||83|
|Belgian Album Chart (Wallonia)||81|
|Finnish Album Chart||18|
|Japanese Album Chart (Oricon)||14|
- Arch Enemy
- Angela Gossow − vocals
- Michael Amott − guitars, keyboards
- Christopher Amott − guitars
- Sharlee D'Angelo − bass
- Daniel Erlandsson − drums
- Produced by Fredrik Nordström and Michael Amott; co-produced by Daniel Erlandsson
- Mixed by Fredrik Nordström
- Engineered by Patrik J. Sten
- Mastered by Peter In De Betou
- All music arranged by Michael Amott and Daniel Erlandsson. Drum arrangements by Daniel Erlandsson. Vocal arrangements by Angela Gossow. Additional arrangements by Arch Enemy.
- Keyboards by Per Wiberg (not credited in album artwork)
- Artwork by Niklas Sundin
|United Kingdom||24 September 2007||Century Media Records||CD|
|United States||25 September 2007||Century Media||CD|
This section contains information of unclear or questionable importance or relevance to the article's subject matter. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- The speech from the song "Rise of the Tyrant" is taken from 1979 movie Caligula, and was also previously featured by ZAUM and on Matthew Sweet's 1993 album Altered Beast:
Caligula: I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night.
Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am... a God.
I shall wait for the unanimous decision of the senate, Claudius.
Claudius: All those who say aye, say aye.
Caligula: Aye... aye!
Senators: Aye! Aye! Aye!..
Guard: He's a god now...
- The song "The Day You Died" is inspired by the Japanese anime movie Grave of the Fireflies. In Revolver (Nov. 2007 issue), Angela Gossow names the movie as one of her favorites.
- The song "Wings of Tomorrow" (Europe cover) was also recorded during the Rise of the Tyrant sessions, but wasn't released until Khaos Legions, on the second disk of a two disk media book version.
- A video was made for "Revolution Begins" and "I Will Live Again" (both directed by Patric Ullaeus).
- The title of the album is also the title of a movie in the Metalocalypse episode "P.R. Pickles".
- The text at the top of the album cover reads "Beneath the burning cross my immortal soul"; this line is taken from the second track of the album ("The Last Enemy"):
Funeral silence beneath the burning cross
My immortal soul sleeps with the wolves tonight
- Rivadavia, Eduardo. "Rise Of The Tyrant review". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- ahapaxlegomenon."Arch Enemy - "Rise of the Tyrant" (CD)". metalunderground.com. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- "Arch Enemy guitarist comments on upcoming Rise of the Tyrant album". Archived from the original on 2007-08-10. Retrieved 2007-07-27.
- "ARCH ENEMY: 'Rise Of The Tyrant' First-Week Chart Positions Revealed". blabbermouth.net. 2007-10-05. Archived from the original on 2009-02-03. Retrieved 2007-10-05.
- "Rise of the Tyrant - Arch Enemy" (in Japanese). oricon ME inc. Retrieved 2015-05-16.
- Arch Enemy: 'Rise of the Tyrant' Artwork Unveiled blabbermouth.net. 2007-07-25. Retrieved on 2009-11-11.