Riyaz (also Riyaaz) is an Urdu language term used for music practice, for honing of Hindustani classical music vocal as well as instrument skills. Sadhakam or Sadhana in Carnatic music. It is followed rigorously by the students as well as exponents of vocal as well as dancing forms.
The Riyaaz or Sadhakam, which often starts early in the morning at four, is taken seriously by the students for it requires intensity, discipline and commitment for years and forms an important component in the Guru - Shishya parampara (teacher-student tradition). 
- Art school: (propositions for the 21st century). MIT Press. 2009. p. 76. ISBN 0-262-13493-4.
- Sadanand Naimpalli (2005). Theory and practice of tabla. Popular Prakashan. p. 51. ISBN 81-7991-149-7.
- "The Riyaz Shows". The Hindu. Retrieved 16 January 2012.
- "Talas of Virtuosity". The Hindu. Retrieved 16 January 2012.
- "Bonding with the Gurus". The Hindu. Retrieved 16 January 2012.
- "Music is the only Constant in my life:Asha Bhosle". Indian Express. Retrieved 16 January 2012.
- "Bakti and sadhaka - Pillars of Excellence". The Hindu. Retrieved 16 January 2012.
- The shaping of an ideal Carnatic musician through sādhana - Pantula Rama
|This article about a music genre is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|