Robert Barclay Fox
Fox was born the son of Robert Fox (1845–1915) and his wife Ellen Mary Bassett.
He was the grandson of another "Robert Barclay Fox" (1817–1855) and was also known as Barclay Fox, one of the influential local Quaker family of Fox, of Falmouth, Cornwall. He inherited "Grove Hill" and Penjerrick Garden, that his grandfather and great-grandfather had developed.
He became the senior partner in the conglomerate business, G.C. Fox & Co (originally a Shipping Agent). He was a director of the Falmouth Dock Board and Consul for Denmark and Vice-Consul for Norway, Germany and Finland. The King of Norway awarded him a knighthood of the order of St. Olav.
He served as a Cornwall County Councillor and as a governor of a number of local schools, and of the School of Art. He was High Sheriff of Cornwall in 1920. He was the chairman of the Penryn & Falmouth Unionist Association.
Barclay Fox also followed his family in his interest in horticulture and continued his father, grandfather and great-grandfather's development of Penjerrick.
Marriage . . . death
Barclay Fox married his cousin, Margaret (Peggy) Bassett. His sister, Naomi Bassett Fox was born on 1 February 1886. Margaret and Naomi were members of a Women's Suffrage society in Falmouth affiliated to National Union of Women's Suffrage Societies. Naomi was its Secretary.
Margaret Fox died in 1928.
Barclay Fox died on 22 April 1934, aged 61.
- "Dictionary of Quaker Biography" (a source in typescript, held at Friends House, London). The article gives as its source an obituary in The Friend, Volume 92 (1934) pages 378 and 388.
- Obituary in The Times, Tuesday, Apr 24, 1934; pg. 16; Issue 46736; col C
- The Times, Saturday, Feb 13, 1932; pg. 13; Issue 46056; col B Court Circular. Permission granted for RBF to wear the insignia of a foreign honour.
- The Unionists were against Home Rule in Ireland and consisted of Conservatives and Liberal-Unionists.
- Royal Cornwall Polytechnic Society Annual Report 1934 Photographic portrait of R.Barclay Fox as frontispiece, Obituary in Portrait Gallery section pp.65-67.
- Naomi Bassett Fox: Date of birth from Descendants of Henry Tregelles compiled by Charles E. G. Pease of the Kinloch Hotel, Isle of Mull
- The women's suffrage movement: a reference guide, 1866-1928, by Elizabeth Crawford , Routledge (1999) p124 and 213 on GoogleBooks