July 24, 1947 |
Bethesda, Maryland, U.S.
|Other names||Robert Bart Hays|
|Occupation||Actor, producer, director|
|Spouse(s)||Cherie Currie (1990-1997); 1 child|
Robert Hays (born July 24, 1947) is an American actor, perhaps best known for his role as pilot Ted Striker in the film Airplane! (also known as 'Flying High') and for his role as Robert Seaver in Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey.
Life and career
Hays was born in Bethesda, Maryland. Before relocating to Hollywood, where he found quick success, Hayes lived in the Pacific Beach area of San Diego, and picked up acting roles in San Diego's local theater scene. He worked in several productions at the famous Old Globe Theatre, including the role of Petruccio in a touring production of William Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew.
In 1977, Hayes played a role in the television series Wonder Woman, playing a military corporal in the same outfit he wore in the movie Airplane!. Hays has starred in several short-lived television series, including the 1978 production The Young Pioneers on ABC; the 1979 series Angie; the science fiction series Starman, in which he played the title character; and FM. He played the role of "Bud", the man thought to be Hyde's dad, in several episodes of That '70s Show. Hays has also directed and produced for films and television.
He has performed in many television movies and has done voice work such as the title character on the Marvel Comics adaptation of Iron Man. In 2013, Hays appeared in a slapstick-laden TV spot promoting tourism in Wisconsin, which also reunited him with Airplane! co-director David Zucker.
- The Rockford Files, "The Deep Blue Sleep" (original air date October 10, 1975)
- Wonder Woman (original air date 2/16/1977)
- The Initiation of Sarah (1978)
- Angie (TV series) (1979–1980)
- The Girl, the Gold Watch & Everything (TV) (1980)
- Starman (TV series) (1986–87)
- Murder by the Book (TV movie) (1987)
- FM (1989–1990) - 13 episodes
- Running Against Time (TV movie) (1990)
- The Larry Sanders Show (TV series) (1992) (guest)
- Iron Man (TV series) (1994–1996) - 26 episodes (voice)
- Deadly Invasion: The Killer Bee Nightmare (TV movie) (1995)
- Vanished (TV movie) (1995)
- Unabomber: the True Story (TV) (1996)
- The Incredible Hulk (TV) (1996) - 1 episode (voice)
- Spider-Man (TV) (1996 - 1997) - 6 episodes (voice)
- 30 Years to Life (TV Movie) (1998)
- Kelly Kelly (TV) (1998) - 7 episodes
- The Outer Limits (TV series) (1999) - episode - "Donor"
- That '70s Show (TV) (2000) - 2 episodes
- Bette (TV) (2001) - 2 episodes
- Spin City (TV) (2002) - 1 episode
Produced and directed
- "Robert Hays-biography". The New York Times.
- Maslin, Janet (July 2, 1980). "Airplane (1980) AIRPLANE!". The New York Times. Retrieved 04-08-2014. Check date values in:
- "Hays ready to assume role of 'Starman' for television". Park City Daily News (Bowling Green, KY). Associated Press. August 15, 1986. p. TV4. Retrieved 2010-03-24.
- Davis, Stacy Vogel (March 18, 2013). "Zucker, Hays poke fun at summer in Wisconsin in latest tourism ad". Milwaukee Business Journal. Retrieved 04-08-2014. Check date values in: