Robert Livingston (actor)
Robert Edward Randall|
December 9, 1904
Quincy, Illinois, U.S.
March 7, 1988 (aged 83)|
Tarzana, California, U.S.
|Resting place||Forest Lawn Memorial Park Cemetery|
|Spouse(s)||Margaret M. Roach (m. 1947–1951)|
|Relatives||Jack Randall (brother)|
Robert Edward Randall (December 9, 1904 – March 7, 1988) was an American film actor known under his stage name as Bob Livingston. He appeared in 135 films between 1921 and 1975. He was one of the original Three Mesquiteers. He had also played The Lone Ranger and Zorro.
Life and career
Often billed as "Bob Livingston," he was the original "Stony Brooke" in the "Three Mesquiteers" Western B-movie series, a role later played by John Wayne for eight films. He also portrayed Zorro in The Bold Caballero (1936) and the Lone Ranger in the 1939 film serial The Lone Ranger Rides Again directed by William Witney and co-starring Chief Thundercloud as Tonto. Livingston also appeared as the title character in The Lone Rider series starring alongside sidekicks Al "Fuzzy" St. John and Dennis "Smoky" Moore. The role of the Rider had previously been played by George Houston.
On December 18, 1947, he married Margaret M. Roach, daughter of director/producer Hal Roach. They had one son, actor/writer Addison Randall born on August 13, 1949. He was named after Livingston's younger brother, Addison Randall, who had died at the relatively young age of 39 while shooting the film The Royal Mounted Rides Again in 1945. Livingston and Margaret Roach later divorced in 1951.
- Brown of Harvard (1926)
- Special Delivery (1927)
- Man, Woman and Sin (1927)
- Sunny Skies (1930)
- Borrowed Wives (1930)
- Hot Curves (1930)
- Strangers May Kiss (1931)
- Shipmates (1931)
- Night World (1932)
- Buried Loot (1935)
- The Vigilantes Are Coming (1936)
- The Three Mesquiteers (1936)
- The Bold Caballero (1936) – Don Diego Vega / Zorro
- Riders of the Whistling Skull (1937)
- Larceny on the Air (1937)
- Hit the Saddle (1937)
- Heart of the Rockies (1937)
- Arson Gang Busters (1938)
- The Lone Ranger Rides Again (1939) – title role
- Under Texas Skies (1940)
- Storm Over Lisbon (1944)
- Lake Placid Serenade (1944)
- Don't Fence Me In (1945)
- Dakota (1945)
- The Feathered Serpent (1948)
- Girls for Rent (1974)
- The Naughty Stewardesses (1975)
- Blazing Stewardesses (1975)
- Ellenberger, Allan R. (2001). Celebrities in Los Angeles Cemeteries: A Directory. McFarland. p. 59. ISBN 9780786450190. Retrieved 14 October 2017.
- "Robert Livingston, 83, An Actor in 100 Films". New York Times. Retrieved June 27, 2017.
- Cline, William C. (2000). Serials-ly Speaking: Essays on Cliffhangers. McFarland. ISBN 9780786409181. Retrieved 14 October 2017.
- Armstrong, Richard B.; Armstrong, Mary Willems (2000). Encyclopedia of Film Themes, Settings and Series. McFarland. ISBN 9780786445721. Retrieved 14 October 2017.
- "Robert Livingston, 83; 1930s Cowboy Film Hero". LA Times. Retrieved June 27, 2017.