Robertson College Jabalpur
Robertson College, Jabalpur, (now divided into Government Science College, Jabalpur and Mahakoshal Arts & Commerce College) is considered to be the oldest such institution in Madhya Pradesh. It established in 1836 as Sagar Govt. School in Sagar, and was upgraded to Sagar Collegiate School in 1860 by starting F.A. (Fine Art, a degree equivalent to 12th grade) classes. The institution was moved to Jabalpur in 1873.
It was renamed Robertson College in honor of the then commissioner Mr. Benjamin Robertson in 1916. Many of the students at Robertson College joined Hitkarini Sabha institutions during time of Indian independence struggle, where could they participate in the swaraj movement. It was renamed Mahakoshal Mahavidyalaya in 1947 after independence.
Many distinguished scholars have emerged from the Robertson College and its descendant institutions.
- Robertson College (JUBBULPORE). Central Centenary Committee, J. N. W. PAUL 1937
- Govt.Autonom. Mahakaushal Arts & Commerce College http://www.gyapti.com/academics/college_detail/296/Govt.Autonom.%20Mahakaushal%20Arts%20&%20Commerce%20College-Jabalpur-Madhya%20Pradesh-India.html
- District Census Handbook, Madhya Pradesh: Shivpure, India. Superintendent of Census Operations, Madhya Pradesh Govt. of Madhya Pradesh, 1964, p. iii
- Robertson College, About Jubbulpore, http://www.gokuldas.com/jabal/index.php?jabal=4
- Changing political leadership in an Indian province: the Central Provinces and Berar, 1919-1939, David E. U. Baker, Oxford University Press, 1979 p. 130
- Meteoric Life of a Mathematician: A Tribute to Dr. N.G. Shabde, By Sunil N. Shabde, p. 172
- [Govt. Model Science College http://www.sciencecollegejbp.org/college.htm (Official website)]