Rockin' Through the Decades
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Rockin' Through the Decades|
|Created by||Ross Bagdasarian, Sr. (characters)|
|Directed by||Steve Karman|
Will Smith (host) |
Ross Bagdasarian, Jr.
Anneliese van der Pol
|Country of origin||United States|
|Running time||19 minutes|
January 18, 1991 (as Rockin' Through the Decades) |
1992 (as Rockin' with the Chipmunks)
Rockin' Through the Decades is a live-action and animated television special based on characters from Alvin and the Chipmunks. It was directed by Steve Karman, produced by Bagdasarian Productions, and premiered on NBC on January 18, 1991. It was released on VHS by Buena Vista Home Video in 1992 as Rockin' with the Chipmunks. Most recently, the special has been re-released on September 8, 2009 by Paramount Pictures on the DVD The Very First Alvin Show along with A Chipmunk Reunion. In 1992 it aired on Disney Channel.
- Will Smith - Himself (credited as Fresh Prince)
- Ross Bagdasarian, Jr. - Voice of Alvin & Simon
- Janice Karman - Voice of Theodore & Brittany
- Ben Vereen - Himself
- Richard Moll - Himself
- Kenny Loggins - Himself
- Raven-Symoné - Herself
- Shelley Duvall - Herself
- Markie Post - Herself
- Little Richard - Himself
- Trey Parker - Additional voices
- Michael Jackson - Himself (archive footage)
- Thomas H. Watkins - Soda Jerk
Rockin' With The Chipmunks
Rockin' With The Chipmunks made significant changes to the featured songs.
- "Witch Doctor"
- "Tutti Frutti"/"Heartbreak Hotel" (medley, fifties)
- "Surfin' Safari"/"She Loves You"/"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" (medley, sixties)
- "Crocodile Rock" (seventies)
- "Smooth Criminal"/"Beat It" (medley, Alvin added to the original music videos, eighties)
- "Sleigh Ride" (original Christmas-themed hip hop song, nineties)
Segments from two episodes of The Alvin Show, A Chipmunk Christmas and an episode of The Ed Sullivan Show are also featured. "Alvin's Harmonica" can be heard in the background while Will Smith is on the fifties set. Smith also does a rap introduction to the "Sleigh Ride" segment, giving his perspective on what to expect of the nineties.
Soundtrack album release
|Rockin' Through the Decades|
|Soundtrack album by The Chipmunks|
|Released||January 18, 1991|
November 1988 (track 1),|
July–September 1989 (tracks 2-11),
December 1990 (track 12)
|Label||EMI America (US), Virgin (International)|
Tom Chase, |
Steve Rucker (track 1),
Janice Karman (tracks 2-11),
Terry Lewis (track 12)
|The Chipmunks chronology|
Rockin' Through the Decades is also the name of a soundtrack music album by Alvin and the Chipmunks, released by Chipmunk Records in 1991, and contained all of the songs from the documentary, along with three added tracks.
- "Witch Doctor (Decades Mix)"
- "Tutti Frutti"
- "She Loves You ('90s Reprise)"
- "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"
- "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" - The Chipettes
- "Beat It ('90s Remix)"
- "Heartbreak Hotel"
- "Crocodile Rock"
- "Surfin' Safari"
- "Oh, Pretty Woman"
- "Johnny B. Goode"
- "Sleigh Ride"
- "Bad Boy" - The Chipettes