|Roger Meyer Temam|
|Born||19 May 1940|
|Institutions||Université Paris-Sud (Orsay)
|Alma mater||Université de Paris|
|Doctoral advisor||Jacques-Louis Lions|
|Doctoral students||Denis Serre|
|Known for||Navier-Stokes Equations|
Roger Meyer Temam (born 19 May 1940) is a College Professor of mathematics at Indiana University, Bloomington. According to Mathematics Genealogy Project, (in the beginning of 2009) Temam has supervised 106 PhD thesis; this is the highest number PhD thesis supervised by an individual in the field of mathematics. He has a total of 314 mathematical descendants. He is known for his contributions to the theory of Navier–Stokes equations and numerical analysis.
Temam was advised by Jacques-Louis Lions at the Université de Paris. He finished his dissertation in 1967. He was elected to the French Academy of Sciences on 11 December 2007 (while at Indiana University). From 1967 to 2003, Temam held a professorship at Université Paris-Sud (Orsay).
In the mid-1980s, Temam came to Indiana University to work with Ciprian Foias. Indiana made him "a very nice offer." He taught at both Indiana and in France for some time. Since his arrival at Indiana, Temam has served as the director of the Institute for Scientific Computing and Applied Mathematics at IU.
- R. Temam, Navier-Stokes Equations: Theory and Numerical Analysis, American Mathematical Society (2001). ISBN 0-8218-2737-5
- R. Temam, Infinite Dimensional Dynamical Systems in Mechanics and Physics, 2nd ed., Springer (1997). ISBN 0-387-94866-X
- C. Foias, Manley, O., Rosa, R., and Temam, R., Navier-Stokes Equations and Turbulence, Cambridge University Press (2001). ISBN 0-521-36032-3
- Ekeland, Ivar; Temam, Roger (1999). Convex analysis and variational problems. Classics in applied mathematics. 28 (Corrected reprinting of the (1976) North-Holland ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM). pp. 357–373. ISBN 0-89871-450-8. MR 1727362.
- R. Temam and Miranville, A., Mathematical Modeling in Continuum Mechanics, 2nd ed., Cambridge University Press (2005). ISBN 0-521-61723-5
- P. Constantin, Foias, C., Nicolaenko, B., and Temam, R., Integral Manifolds and Inertial Manifolds for Dissipative Partial Differential Equations, Springer-Verlag, Applies Mathematical Sciences Series, Vol.70 (1988)
Awards and honors
- Seymour Cray Prize in Numerical Simulation, 1989
- Elected to the French Academy of Sciences in December 2007
- Fellow of the American Mathematical Society, 2012
- Roger Temam @ Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Scientist at work: Roger Temam
- Institut de France Académie des sciences
- Institute for Scientific Computing and Applied Mathematics – Members
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-08-25.