Roman Catholic Diocese of Cruzeiro do Sul
|Diocese of Cruzeiro do Sul|
Dioecesis Crucis Australis
Cathedral of Our Lady of Glory
|Ecclesiastical province||Porto Velho|
|Area||126,633 km2 (48,893 sq mi)|
(as of 2011)|
|Established||22 May 1931 (87 years ago)|
|Cathedral||Catedral Nossa Senhora da Glória|
|Bishop||Mosé João Pontelo, C.S.Sp.|
|Emeritus Bishops||Luís Herbst, C.S.Sp.|
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Cruzeiro do Sul (Latin: Dioecesis Crucis Australis) is a suffragan see in the ecclesiastical province of the Metropolitan Archdiocese of Porto Velho, Acre (state), westernmost Amazonian Brazil.
As per 2014, it pastorally served 230,966 Catholics (80.6% of 286,462 total) on 126,633 km² in 12 parishes and 99 missions with 25 priests (16 diocesan, 9 religious), 91 lay religious (16 brothers, 75 sisters) and 13 seminarians.
- On 22 May 1931, Pope Pius XI established the Territorial Prelature of Juruá, on canonical territory split off from the then Territorial Prelature of Tefé (later Apostolic Prefecture).
- Pope John Paul II elevated the prelature to Diocese of Cruzeiro do Sul on 25 June 1987.
(all Roman Rite)
- (Territorial) (Bishop-)Prelates of Juruá
- Heinrich Ritter, Holy Ghost Fathers (C.S.Sp.) (born Germany) (6 Sep 1935 - death 19 July 1942), Titular Bishop of Rhosus (1935.09.06 – 1942.07.19)
- Father Henrique Klein (1942 - death 1947)
- José Hascher, C.S.Sp. (born France) (22 March 1947 - retired 25 Feb 1967), Titular Bishop of Æliæ (1947.03.22 – death 1973.05.08)
- Heinrich Rüth, C.S.Sp. (7 Feb 1967 - 25 June 1987 see below), Titular Bishop of Leptiminus (1966.06.21 – 1978.05.26), succeeding as former as Coadjutor Bishop-Prelate of Territorial Prelature of Jurua (Brazil) (1966.06.21 – 1967.02.07)
- Suffragan Bishops of Cruzeiro do Sul
- Heinrich Rüth, Holy Ghost Fathers (C.S.Sp.) (see above 25 June 1987 - retired 7 Dec 1988), died 2006
- Luís Herbst, C.S.Sp. (born Germany) (7 Dec 1988 - 3 Jan 2001), previously Coadjutor Bishop-Prelate of Territorial Prelature of Jurua (1979.08.07 – 1987.06.25), (see) promoted and restyled Coadjutor Bishop of Cruzeiro do Sul (1987.06.25 – 1988.12.07)
- Mosé João Pontelo, C.S.Sp. (3 Jan 2001 - ...), succeeding as former Coadjutor Bishop of Cruzeiro do Sul (Brazil) (1998.05.27 – 2001.01.03).
|This article on a Roman Catholic diocese in Brazil is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|