Ron Cox (American football)
|Date of birth:||March 29, 1968|
|Place of birth:||Fresno, California|
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||235 lb (107 kg)|
|NFL Draft:||1990 / Round: 2 / Pick: 33|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
Ronald Eugene Cox (born February 2, 1968 in Fresno, California) is a former American football linebacker who played eight seasons in the National Football League with the Chicago Bears and the Green Bay Packers. He started as middle linebacker for the champion Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl XXXI. In 2001, Cox was inducted into the Fresno County Athletic Hall of Fame.
As a senior, Cox was a finalist for the 1989 Butkus Award, which was won by Percy Snow. Cox had 14 sacks that senior season. He was also an All-American and the Big West Conference Defensive MVP.
Cox was drafted by the Chicago Bears in the second round (33rd overall) of the 1990 NFL Draft. His rookie year, 1990, was his best year in terms of sacks, with three. After a dip in productivity in 1991, Cox saw a career year in 1992, with 56 tackles, a sack, a fumble recovery, and three games started. Recording his first interception in 1995, Cox left in free agency to go to the Green Bay Packers. He returned to the team in 1997 but retired to spend time with his family.
Green Bay Packers
Cox serves as a defensive coach for Division III Lake Forest College. He has turned down offers to be on the coaching staff from Ron Rivera of the Carolina Panthers and Leslie Frazier of the Minnesota Vikings.
Cox graduated with a degree in electrical engineering. After retiring, he worked in the building industry. He and his wife Michelle have three kids, Kelsey, Caitlin, and Ron Jr., and they live in Lake Forest, Illinois.
- "Fresno County Athletic Hall of Fame | Home". Fresno County Athletic Hall of Fame | Home. Retrieved 2017-02-02.
- "Butkus Award To Michigan St.`s Snow". tribunedigital-chicagotribune. Retrieved 2017-01-18.
- NORWOOD, ROBYN (1989-10-19). "Only a Few Can Keep Him in Line : Blitz King: Rushing the quarterback is a specialty of Fresno State linebacker Ron Cox, who already has 14 sacks this season.". Los Angeles Times. ISSN 0458-3035. Retrieved 2017-01-18.
- "Bulldogs Welcome Back 1989 Football Team". Retrieved 2017-01-18.
- "Ron Cox". NFL.com. Retrieved 2017-01-18.
- "Ron Cox Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved 2017-01-18.
- "Bears Won't Match Packers' Offer to Ron Cox". 1996-04-05.
- "Packers.com | News | Stories | July 24, 2006: Cox Would Like To Make Lambeau Field Return A Permanent One". Retrieved 2017-01-18.
- "Former Bears Linebacker Ron Cox Visits Football Camp at Elmhurst College". Elmhurst, IL Patch. 2011-07-20. Retrieved 2017-01-18.
|This biographical article relating to an American football linebacker born in the 1960s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|