Roosevelt High School (Minneapolis)
|Roosevelt High School|
|4029 28th Avenue South
|School district||Minneapolis Public Schools|
|Teaching staff||65.83 FTE|
|Color(s)||Maroon and Gold
Roosevelt High School is a public school located in the Standish neighborhood of Minneapolis, Minnesota. A part of the Minneapolis Public Schools, it is named after United States President Theodore Roosevelt. Athletic and other competition teams from the school are nicknamed the Teddies. Roosevelt has been an International Baccalaureate World School since March 2010, and offers the Diploma Programme as well as the IB Career-related Certificate.
- Barkhad Abdi – actor, nominated for Best Actor in a Supporting Role at the 2013 Academy Awards.
- Peter Agre – molecular biologist, who along with Roderick MacKinnon was awarded Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 2003.
- Linda Berglin – long-time Minnesota senator and leader on issues relevant to health and human services.
- Fortune Gordien – former world record holder in the discus
- Reed Larson – former National Hockey League defenseman, member of the United States Hockey Hall of Fame.
- Marcus LeVesseur - (attended) 4x state champion and 4x NCAA DIII wrestler; professional Mixed martial artist in the UFC
- John Linsley – performed pioneering research in the field of cosmic rays and was nominated for the Nobel Prize in physics in 1980.
- Sammy Morgan (fighter) - competed on The Ultimate Fighter 2, retired professional Mixed Martial Artist
- Larry Munson – collegiate and professional sportscaster
- Mike Ramsey – former National Hockey League defenseman, Olympic gold medalist
- James Rosenquist – one of the protagonists in the pop-art movement
- Don Smith – former Basketball Association of America forward
- Charles Stenvig – former mayor of Minneapolis
- John Thomas – former National Basketball Association forward.
- Jesse Ventura – professional wrestler, 38th governor of Minnesota, and actor. Known as James Janos while in high school.
- John William Vessey Jr. – (attended) United States Army general, the tenth Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and longest-serving active duty member in the United States Army at the time he retired.
- "ROOSEVELT SENIOR HIGH". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved November 16, 2017.
- Covert, Colin (2 March 2014). "Barkhad Abdi's big night at the Oscars". Star Tribune. Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- "Minnesota native wins Nobel Prize for chemistry", Minnesota Public Radio, October 8, 2003, retrieved 2008-12-08
- "Berglin, Linda Lee - Legislator Record - Minnesota Legislators Past & Present". Venus.library.leg.state.mn.us. Retrieved 2016-08-18.
- Weiner, Jay (December 25, 1999), "Millennium – Top 100 Sports Figures // 51-100", Star Tribune
- Reed Larson, USA Hockey, retrieved 2008-12-11
- Sherman, John (December 9, 2012). "New Hopkins wrestling coach has challenges". Minnesota Sun. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- Scoggins, Chip (February 18, 2001). "Apple Valley headed for state again; Bloomington Kennedy is out; LeVesseur sets mark for wins". Star Tribune. Retrieved December 9, 2014 – via Higheam Research. (Subscription required (. ))
- "Finding Aid to the John Linsley Papers". Fermilab History and Archives Project, Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory. 2012. Retrieved 30 August 2012.
- Willits, Joel, Olympic Feat Spawned A Great NHL Career For Ramsey, USA Hockey, retrieved 2008-12-11
- 2014 Hall of Fame Inductees Minneapolis Roosevelt Foundation Retrieved on May 27, 2014.
- Don Smith. basketball-reference.com. Retrieved on January 30, 2013.
- Lemon, Richard (1971), The troubled American, [New York] Simon and Schuster [1971, c1970], p. 123, ISBN 0-671-21065-3
- DraftExpress NBA Draft Prospect Profile, retrieved 2009-01-22
- Minnesota Governor Jesse Ventura, National Governor's Association, retrieved 2008-12-11
|This Minnesota school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|