Broken (2014 film)
|Revised Romanization||Banghwanghaneun Kalnal|
|Directed by||Lee Jeong-ho|
|Produced by||Im Sang-jin
|Written by||Lee Jeong-ho|
|Based on||The Hovering Blade
by Keigo Higashino
|Music by||Kim Hong-jib|
|Edited by||Nam Na-yeong|
|Distributed by||CJ Entertainment|
Broken (Hangul: 방황하는 칼날; RR: Banghwanghaneun Kalnal; lit. "Hovering Blade" or "Roving Edge") is a 2014 South Korean revenge thriller film about a father (played by Jung Jae-young) who becomes a fugitive as he hunts down the two men responsible for his daughter's rape and murder.
It is adapted from Keigo Higashino's 2004 novel The Hovering Blade (さまよう刃 Samayou Yaiba). This is the third South Korean film adapted from the Japanese novelist's work, after White Night (2009) and Perfect Number (2012).
Widower Lee Sang-hyeon lives a quiet life with his 15-year-old daughter Su-jin. But one day she is abducted and raped, and her corpse is found at a derelict public bathhouse. Sang-hyeon is left helpless in the face of his daughter's death, with nothing left to cling on to but his feelings of anger and despair. The investigation into his daughter's death is progressing slowly, so restless and unable to sit quiet any longer, he decides to take matters into his own hands. Sang-hyeon receives an anonymous text message with information on the culprit, including an address where the sender claims Sang-hyeon would find electronic evidence of the crime; when he gets there, he sees a man, Kim Cheol-yong laughing as he watches a video showing Su-jin's rape and murder. Sang-hyeon accidentally kills Cheol-yong in a fit of rage, and upon learning that Cheol-yong had an accomplice, becomes hellbent on finding the second rapist/murderer. Upon examining Cheol-yong's murder scene, Jang Eok-gwan, the detective who leads the investigation into Su-jin's murder, realizes that Sang-hyeon was the killer and sets out on his trail.
- Jung Jae-young - Lee Sang-hyeon
- Lee Sung-min - Jang Eok-gwan
- Seo Jun-young - Park Hyeon-soo
- Lee Soo-bin - Lee Su-jin
- Lee Joo-seung - Jo Doo-sik
- Choi Sang-wook - Kim Min-ki
- Kim Ji-hyeok - Kim Cheol-yong
- Kim Hong-pa - Team leader Goo
- Kim Dae-myung -Yang Tae-seop
- Jung Suk-yong - Min-ki's father
- Park Myeong-shin - Min-ki's mother
- Kim Hyun - Cheol-yong's mother
- Jo Yeon-ho - Cheol-yong's father
- Kim Seon-hwa - Mi-jin's mother
- Oh Jung-se - Voice on the radio (cameo)
Broken opened in second place at the box office behind Captain America: The Winter Soldier, attracting 458,000 admissions and ₩3.71 billion (US$3.56 million) from 592 screens on its first four days.
- "Broken (방황하는 칼날)". CJ Entertainment. Retrieved 2014-03-17.
- Jin, Eun-soo (7 March 2014). "Slain teen's father faces stark choices in Edge". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-03-09.
- Song, Soon-jin (17 March 2014). "Press Conference for BROKEN, Based on HIGASHINO Keigo Novel". Korean Film Council. Retrieved 2014-03-17.
- Lee, Tae-ho (26 October 2012). "Lee Sung-min, Jung Jae-young's New Movie to Crank in December". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Tae, Sang-joon (28 March 2014). "Broken". Korean Cinema Today. Retrieved 2014-04-12.
- Conran, Pierce (27 January 2013). "Roving Edge". Korean Cinema Today. Retrieved 2014-01-30.
- "Roving Edge". The Film Catalogue. Retrieved 2014-01-10.
- Kim, Se-yoon (7 April 2014). "In Focus: Broken". Korean Film Council. Retrieved 2014-04-12.
- Lee, Eun-sun (21 April 2014). "From rookie to standout star". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- Ma, Kevin (16 April 2014). "Captain America fends off Korean newcomers". Film Business Asia. Retrieved 2014-04-25.