Sacred Heart University Luxembourg
Sacred Heart University Luxembourg, abbreviated to SHU Luxembourg, is a business school, based in Luxembourg City, in southern Luxembourg. The complete name is Jack Welch College of Business, Sacred Heart University Luxembourg. It is the European branch of the Jack Welch College of Business at Sacred Heart University, Fairfield, CT, located north of New York City. Sacred Heart’s Jack Welch College of Business has been in Luxembourg for more than two decades offering graduate level programs tailored to the needs of working professionals.
History and Campus
Sacred Heart University in Fairfield, CT (USA) began offering business education in 1965, just two years after its founding. The Jack Welch College of Business boasts more than 7,000 alumni with undergraduate degrees in business and over 3,000 with graduate business degrees. At present, some 1,000 students are pursuing degrees in business – 280 of them on the graduate level. In 1991 the Jack Welch College of Business opened a European branch in Luxembourg. Since then the Sacred Heart University (SHU) Luxembourg has been offering a part-time MBA program and graduate certificates tailored to the needs of the professionals working in Luxembourg. In 2012 they added a full-time MBA with Internship program.
In January 2006, the University’s College of Business was named after the legendary former Chairman and CEO of the General Electric Company, John F. Welch. Identified throughout the world of business simply as “Jack,” he was associated with GE for an incredible 41 years. Fortune magazine has called him the Manager of the Century, and Business Week dubbed him “one of the greatest innovators of the past 75 years.” As part of his commitment to the University, Mr. Welch has volunteered to be actively involved with the Jack Welch College of Business through ongoing advice and guidance. He will assist the College as it continues its mission of providing students access to a top-quality education and preparation for careers in business.
Initially called John F. College of Business, the school was renamed Jack Welch College of Business in 2015.
SHU Luxembourg is highly international with students from over 40 nationalities. The MBA is well respected by the business and finance community. This is not only reflected in the teaching staff who are accomplished scholars and experienced business executives coming from the US main campus and from Luxembourg but also in SHU’s active Board of Regents that consist of CEOs from a number of major companies in Luxembourg. Located in the Chamber of Commerce in Luxembourg-Kirchberg, the heart of the financial sector and the European Institutions, Sacred Heart University benefits from a vibrant environment in a modern facility.
In January 2007, the Jack Welch College of Business earned an accreditation from AACSB International – the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. It joins an elite membership of fewer than 5 percent of business schools worldwide. AACSB International is considered the premier global accrediting body for schools that offer undergraduate, master and doctoral degrees in business and accounting.
In August 2007, Sacred Heart University earned the Grand Ducal Decree which provides recognition of SHU the diplomas in Luxembourg, providing the opportunity to register diplomas with the Luxembourg Ministry of Higher Education.
SHU, Luxembourg has been recognized as one of the Top Notch Business Schools in the world.
Board of Regents
- Norbert Becker, Chairman of the Board of Regents, Chairman, ATOZ; Chairman of the Board of Directors, PayPal Europe
- Romain Bausch, Chairman of the Board of Directors of SES
- Federico Galizia, Chief Risk Officer, Inter-American Development Bank
- Guy Harles, Co Chair, Founding Partner, Arendt & Medernach
- Marc Hoffmann, CEO of Quilvest Wealth Management, Quilvest Group
- Jean-Claude Hollerich, Archbishop, Église Catholique à Luxembourg
- Didier Mouget, Managing Partner, PricewaterhouseCoopers Luxembourg (2007 to 2015)
- Carlo Thelen, Director General, Luxembourg Chamber of Commerce
- Jacques Santer, Former Prime Minister, Luxembourg; Former President, European Commission
- Mark Tluszcz, Co Founder & Chief Executive Officer, Mangrove Capital Partners
- Pierre Gramegna, Former Regent (2004 – 2014), Minister of Finance, Luxembourg Ministry of Finance
Sacred Heart University Campuses
- Cambridge Campus (Trumbull, CT)
- Oakview Campus (Trumbull, CT)
- Stamford Campus (Stamford, CT)
- Griswold Campus (Griswold, CT)
- Luxembourg Campus (Luxembourg)
- Dingle, County Kerry Campus (Ireland)