|Salix lucida lucida|
|Natural range of Salix lucida|
subsp. lucida (green)
subsp. lasiandra (blue)
Salix lucida, the shining willow, Pacific willow, red willow, or whiplash willow, is a species of willow native to northern and western North America, occurring in wetland habitats. It is the largest willow found in British Columbia.
It is a deciduous large shrub or small tree growing to 4–15 metres (13–49 ft) tall. The shoots are greenish-brown to grey-brown. The leaves are narrow elliptic to lanceolate, 4–17 centimetres (1+1⁄2–6+1⁄2 in) long and 1–3.5 cm (1⁄2–1+1⁄2 in) broad, glossy dark green above, usually glaucous green below, hairless or thinly hairy. The flowers are yellow catkins 1–9 cm (1⁄2–3+1⁄2 in) long, produced in late spring after the leaves emerge.
- S. l. lucida – shining willow, Newfoundland west to eastern Saskatchewan, and south to Maryland and South Dakota
- S. l. lasiandra (Benth.) E.Murray (syn. S. lasiandra Benth.) – Pacific willow, Alaska east to Northwest Territory, and south to California and New Mexico.
- S. l. caudata (Nutt.) E.Murray – whiplash willow, interior western North America from eastern British Columbia south to eastern California and Nevada, included in S. l. lasiandra by some authors.
- "Salix lucida". Germplasm Resources Information Network (GRIN). Agricultural Research Service (ARS), United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- Jepson Flora: Salix lucida
- Plants of British Columbia: Salix lucida
- Arno, Stephen F.; Hammerly, Ramona P. (2020) . Northwest Trees: Identifying & Understanding the Region's Native Trees (field guide ed.). Seattle: Mountaineers Books. pp. 192–193. ISBN 978-1-68051-329-5. OCLC 1141235469.
- Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center: Salix lucida Archived 2007-08-17 at the Wayback Machine
- Bean, W. J. (1980). Trees and Shrubs Hardy in the British Isles 8th ed., vol. 4. John Murray ISBN 0-7195-2428-8.
- Media related to Salix lucida at Wikimedia Commons
- Data related to Salix lucida at Wikispecies
- Salix lucida in the CalPhotos photo database, University of California, Berkeley
- "Salix lucida". Calflora. Berkeley, California: The Calflora Database.
- "Salix lucida". Plants for a Future.
- "Salix lucida lasiandra". Plants for a Future.