Salma Hage (born 8 January 1942) is a Lebanese author and cook. She is the author of the bestselling cookbook The Lebanese Kitchen. Her second book The Middle Eastern Vegetarian Cookbook won her the James Beard Award in the Vegetable Cooking category.
Life in the UK
In 1967 she moved with her family to Wimbledon in south London, UK. She worked as a Kitchen Hand in her mid-twenties, then worked her way up to the role of Head Chef for a large catering organisation, learning to appreciate English cuisine while bringing the flavours of home, of Lebanon, to share with others wherever she cooked. Salma and her husband continue to visit Lebanon every year and remain deeply connected to their roots.
The Lebanese Kitchen
In 2012 Salma wrote The Lebanese Kitchen for Phaidon Press. A definitive guide to traditional cuisine from Lebanon, the cookery book contains more than five hundred of her recipes from her fifty years’ experience of cooking, ranging from light, tempting mezzes to rich and hearty main courses.
The Middle Eastern Vegetarian Cookbook
The second cookbook followed in 2016 with one hundred and fifty new recipes in line with the current Western trends of consciously reducing meat, and the ancient Middle Eastern culture of largely vegetarian, mezze style dining. Salma incorporates some new ingredients too, creating a modern approach to authentic Lebanese food with many options for Vegan and Gluten free diets. Michelin chef Alain Ducasse authored the foreword for this prequel which later won great acclaim including recognition as the James Beard Award Winner in 2017, in the Vegetable Cooking category.
- Hage, Salma (2012). The Lebanese Kitchen. London: Phaidon Press. ISBN 978-0714864808.
- Hage, Salma (2016). The Middle Eastern Vegetarian Cookbook. Phaidon Press. ISBN 9780714871301. OCLC 921865429.
- Renton, Alex (November 2, 2012). "Salma Hage: From NHS cook to Lebanese recipe guru". The Times. Retrieved 5 November 2012.
- Salma Editions. "The Lebanese Kitchen - Biography". Retrieved 5 November 2012.
- Renton, Alex. "Salma Hage: From NHS cook to Lebanese recipe guru". Retrieved 2017-06-28.
- UK, Salma Editions, London,. "The Lebanese Kitchen - Biography". www.the-lebanese-kitchen.com. Retrieved 2017-06-28.
- Touzalin, Jane; Touzalin, Jane (2012-10-15). "Book Report: 'The Lebanese Kitchen'". The Washington Post. ISSN 0190-8286. Retrieved 2017-06-28.
- Yonan, Joe (2016-05-09). "Here's your ticket to a vegan take on moussaka that's actually traditional". The Washington Post. ISSN 0190-8286. Retrieved 2017-06-28.
- "James Beard Foundation". James Beard Foundation. Retrieved 2017-06-28.
- "Take a look at the dishes in our latest James Beard winner! | Food | Agenda | Phaidon". Phaidon. Retrieved 2017-06-28.
- "The 2017 James Beard Award Winners". www.jamesbeard.org. Retrieved 2017-06-28.