Salvatore Antonio, September 2012
|Born||Salvatore Antonio Alessandro Migliore II
c. 1976 (age 40–41)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|Education||National Theatre School of Canada|
Salvatore Antonio (born c. 1976) is a Canadian actor and playwright.
Antonio is best known for playing the lead character, Sacha Martinelli, in the television series Paradise Falls for Showcase and here!. He had been slated to perform in the film Blindness, directed by Fernando Meirelles. He had to pull out, however, because of scheduling conflicts that arose before filming.
On stage, he appeared as the titular character in Léo by Rosa Labordé at the Tarragon Theatre during the winter of 2006. He reprised the role in 2007, and toured Canada with the production in winter 2008. He played one of the lead roles in the psychological thriller Sam's Lake. Other recent films include Cursing Hanley, The Gospel of John, and Looking for Angelina.
As a playwright, Salvatore was named a finalist for the 2007 Governor General's Award for English drama, for his debut work In Gabriel's Kitchen. The play was originally produced at Buddies in Bad Times Theatre in March 2006, where it proved a box-office success. The play went on to be translated into Italian, and was performed in October 2006, at Teatro Della Limonaia, in Florence, Italy. The script was published in May 2007, by Playwrights Canada Press.
In Gabriel's Kitchen premiered in the US in January 2008, at The New Conservatory Theatre Center in San Francisco, and was subsequently produced in New York. Antonio is currently writing for Tarragon Theatre, Factory Theatre and Buddies in Bad Times Theatre. He was the playwright-in-residence at Buddies in Bad Times for its 2004-2005 season.
In 2013, Antonio presented Truth/Dare: A Satire (With Dance), an interactive audience participation show which featured staged reenactments of scenes from Madonna's 1991 film Truth or Dare, at Buddies in Bad Times during Toronto's Pride Week. The show's cast also included Adamo Ruggiero, Gavin Crawford and Keith Cole.
- Romanada, Matthew (March 11, 2006). "Taking life one role at a time". The Financial Post.
- "Alumni, Acting: 1990-1999". National Theatre School of Canada.
- Richard Burnett, "The Voice: Actor Salvatore Antonio is no whirling dervish". Hour, February 24, 2011.
- Al-Solaylee, Kamal (March 3, 2006). "Actor dons role of stage writer". The Globe and Mail. pp. R30.
- "Actor Salvatore Antonio dons his O.R. scrubs and learns how to hand over scalpels...properly". ctv.ca. Retrieved 25 March 2017.
- "Truth/Dare takes on the Material Girl". NOW, June 20, 2013.