Sam and the Womp
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Sam and the Womp
Sam and the Womp is a British pop group consisting of trumpeter Sam Ritchie and Dutch-born vocalist Bloem de Ligny, also known as Lady Oo. The band's music mixes traditional elements of Balkan music with modern dub and drum 'n' bass elements. From its formation in 2009 to 2014, the band also included producer Aaron "Audio" Horn, the son of musician and producer Trevor Horn.
The group's debut single "Bom Bom" was released as a digital download on 19 August 2012, went to the No. 1 spot in the UK Singles Chart. and has sold over a million copies worldwide. In 2012, they signed to Stiff Records and One More Tune.
2009–2013: Formation and "Bom Bom"
Sam and the Womp was formed in September 2009 when Ritchie and de Ligny's band QDOS joined forces with Horn.
Initially signed to Stiff Records, Sam and the Womp released "Bom Bom" under a licensing deal with One More Tune on 20 August 2012. The track gained further momentum after being used to soundtrack an international TV advertising campaign for Southern Comfort. Les Mills uses it for their biceps workout track in Body Pump. The song is also featured in the video games Forza Horizon and The Sims 3: Island Paradise, on the Channel 4 TV show Big Fat Gypsy Weddings, and in an episode of the CBS TV program Elementary. Kmart Australia also featured the song in their 2013 series of TV commercials. The song has also been used in a series of Canadian TV commercials for the Joe Fresh line of clothing. The track went to number one in the UK Official Singles Chart in its first week of release.
2014–present: Horn's departure, Womp Records, Vol. 1, Bee Sides and "Ice Cream Man"
Horn left the group in 2014, and Ritchie and de Ligny continued as a duo.
Ritchie and de Ligny co-founded Womp Records Ltd. in 2015.
On 15 January 2018, the band's debut EP, Womp Records, Vol. 1 was released. On 1 May 2018, Sam and the Womp released the single "Posh Ragga", which features MC Solomon. This is the lead single from the band's second EP Bee Sides, which was released on 18 May 2018. "Ice Cream Man" was released later in the year.
- Sam Ritchie – trumpet (2009-present)
- Bloem de Ligny – vocals (2009-present)
- Aaron Audio – production (2009-2014)
|Womp Records, Vol. 1||
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions||Certifications||Album|
|"East Meets West"||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2017||"Gypsy in the Snow"||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2018||"Posh Ragga"||—||—||—||—||—||—||Bee Sides|
|"Ice Cream Man"||—||—||—||—||—||—||N/A|
- "About | Sam and the Womp". Retrieved 16 August 2019.
- Kreisler, Lauren (26 August 2012). "Sam and the Womp score massive-selling debut Number 1". Official Charts Company. The Official Charts Company. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- "Campaign of the week: Zando goes Bom Bom". The Media Online. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- "Les Mills".
- "Irresistible Prices". Kmart Australia on YouTube.
- "Sam & The Womp". Ticketline.
- "BMI Repertoire 'Bom Bom'". Archived from the original on 7 April 2013.
- "Sam and the Womp > UK Charts". Official Charts Company.
- Hung, Steffen. "Discography Sam and the Womp". Australian Charts Portal. Hung Medien (Steffen Hung).
- Hung, Steffen. "Discography Sam and the Womp". Finnish Charts Portal. Hung Medien (Steffen Hung).
- Hung, Steffen. "Discography Sam and the Womp". Irish Charts Portal. Hung Medien (Steffen Hung).
- Hung, Steffen. "Discografie Sam and the Womp". Dutch Charts Portal. Hung Medien (Steffen Hung).
- Peak positions for singles in Scotland:
- "ARIA Chart > Chart Accreditations > 2013 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 19 March 2013.