||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2012)|
October 18, 1964 |
Youngstown, Ohio, U.S.
|Alma mater||Youngstown State University|
|Occupation||Managing Partner of Applied Information Management (AIM)|
|Spouse(s)||Abeer Barghouty (m. 1993)|
Sam Bahour is a Palestinian American businessman and entrepreneur who was born to a Palestinian father and Lebanese-American mother. He moved with his family to the Israeli-occupied West Bank in the 1990s following the signing of Oslo Accords to become involved in developing the economy of the future Palestinian state.
Bahour was born in Ohio in 1964 He graduated from Youngstown State University in 1989 with a degree in computer technology, and subsequently worked for several American software firms, before moving to the West Bank in 1995.
Since relocating to the West Bank, Bahour has been involved in numerous business development initiatives. He was part of a group of businessmen who established the Palestine Telecommunications Company. He also founded several private businesses, and was part of a plan to open a Western-style shopping center in the West Bank. In addition, he earned an MBA in a joint program between Northwestern University in Illinois and Tel Aviv University in Israel.
He is also known for his criticisms of Israel and its self-definition as a Jewish state and has said that Israel may be responsible for the use of chemical weapons in Syria. He believes that a two-state solution is an illusion, and that settlement in the Israeli-occupied West Bank is a crime. He has also voiced support on Twitter for the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions Movement.
- Bahour, Sam (Oct 7, 2006). "We can't go home again". The New York Times. Retrieved September 7, 2012.
- Bahour, Sam (2012-07-25). "Palestine's Investments Require Divestment". The Huffington Post. Retrieved September 7, 2012.
- "[ePalestine] NYT: Two-State Illusion (By IAN S. LUSTICK) - A MUST READ!". Retrieved September 18, 2013.
- "[ePalestine] Haaretz: Former Bush administration official: Israel may be behind use of chemical arms in Syria". Retrieved September 18, 2013.
- "Boycott institutionally, Engage individually - Divest from Israel, Invest in Palestinians in all of historic Palestine - Sanction Now!". Twitter. Retrieved September 18, 2013.
- Sam Bahour's webpage & blog
- Homeland: Oral Histories of Palestine and Palestinians
- Profile of Sam Bahour at the Institute for Middle East Understanding
- "We can't go home again", Sam Bahour, The New York Times, 7 October 2006
- "Refugees are the Key", Sam Bahour, Counterpunch, 17/18 May 2008
- Video (with mp3 available) discussion on the Middle East with Bahour and Bernard Avishai on Bloggingheads.tv
- "TEDxRamallah - Sam Bahour سام بحّور - Refugees Waiting", Sam Bahour, TEDx Ramallah, 16 April 2011
|This Palestinian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an American businessperson born in the 1960s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|