San Jose de Ivana Church
|San Jose de Ivana Parish Church|
The façade of the Ivana Church in Batanes
|Architectural type||Church building|
|Diocese||Prelature of Batanes|
|Bishop(s)||Camilo Diaz Gregorio|
The San Jose de Ivana Church, also known as Ivana Church, is a Roman Catholic church located in Ivana, Batanes, Philippines dedicated to Saint Joseph under the jurisdiction of the Prelature of Batanes. The church was declared a National Historical Landmark by the National Historical Commission of the Philippines in 2008.
The church of Ivana was first established by the Dominicans as a chapel in 1787. Originally, there were three mission chapels in Said, Kadpidan and Radiwan in Ivana. The present stone church and convent was built in Radiwan under the direction of Father Francisco de Paula Esteban, OP, in 1795, while the bell tower was constructed during the term of Father Fausto de Cuevas, OP from 1814 to 1817. The church was intended to serve the people of Ivana, Sabtang and Uyugan. The residents of Sabtang had been forcibly resettled in Ivana, but were later allowed to return to their island, reducing the size of the congregation. In 1844, space in the church's nave that was no longer needed was closed off. The façade was renovated during the term of Father Fabian Martin, OP, from 1866 to 1869. The church was partially destroyed due to an earthquake in 2000 and was later renovated during the term of Father Gumersindo Hernandez, OP, in 2001.
The church's façade was built alongside the shortening of its nave in 1854. When the population decreased in the 1840s due to the return of the Isabtang to Sabtang, the rear portion of the church was closed. Today, ruins of the abandoned portion of the church can still be seen. It also has a crenellated bell tower supported by unusual buttresses. Its convent, which is part of the church complex, has an unusual circular masonry work near the stairway.
- "NHI Resolution no. 10, s. 2008" (PDF). National Historical Institute (now National Historical Commission of the Philippines). Archived from the original (PDF) on 9 December 2014. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "Simbahan ng Ivana". National Registry of Historic Sites and Structures in the Philippines. National Historical Commission of the Philippines. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- Navasero, Mandy. "Five pillars of faith in Batanes". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- Jose, Regalado Trota (2011). "A Visual Documentation of Fil-Hispanic Churches (Part II): Batanes". Philippiana Sacra. 46 (136).
- Media related to San Jose de Ivana Church (Batanes) at Wikimedia Commons