San Vicente del Valle
|San Vicente del Valle|
|Municipality and hamlet|
Bridge over Tirón River
Municipal location of San Vicente del Valle in Burgos province
|Autonomous community||Castile and León|
|Comarca||Montes de Oca|
|• Total||13.42 km2 (5.18 sq mi)|
|Elevation||954 m (3,130 ft)|
|• Density||2.68/km2 (6.9/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
San Vicente del Valle is a municipality and hamlet located in the province of Burgos, Castile and León, Spain. The municipality is in the comarca of Sierra de la Demanda. In addition to the hamlet of San Vicente del Valle, since 1857 the municipality has included the hamlet of Espinosa del Monte.
The earliest archaeological remains that have been found are from the Middle Paleolithic. There is evidence in the municipality of Roman roads, both paving stones and mileposts, although most Roman structures were destroyed during the Visigoth invasion and initial occupation.
The earliest documentation for the hamlet of San Vicente del Valle is in the year 945 in records of the monastery of San Millan de la Cogolla as viam that vadit ad Vicentium. Latin for "the road that goes to Vicentium".
The peak population for San Vicente del Valle municipality was 476 in 1876. From the 1930 to the 1960 the municipality averaged around 240 inhabitants. The population decreased during the 1970s and 1980s reaching a low of 30 inhabitants in 13 households in 1991. In the decade since 2001, the population ranged between 34 (2001) and 52 (2004), with 45 inhabitants documented in the 2007 census, but recently the municipality had only 31 inhabitants in 2014.
Notes and references
- "Relación de Comarcas y sus Municipios" (.xls). Instituto Nacional de Estadística (INE). Archived from the original on 29 June 2015.
- "Province: 9 Burgos, Municipality: 09536 San Vicente del Valle". Alteraciones de los municipios en los Censos de Población desde 1842. Instituto Nacional de Estadística (INE). Archived from the original on 22 August 2015.
- "San Vicente del Valle - Nuestro Plueblo". Ayuntamiento de San Vicente del Valle. Archived from the original on 4 January 2014.
- "Historia Antigua". Ayuntamiento de San Vicente del Valle. 2008. Archived from the original on 12 June 2013.
- "Province: 9 Burgos, Municipality: 09360 San Vicente del Valle". Alterations to the municipalities in the Population Censuses since 1842. Instituto Nacional de Estadística (INE). Archived from the original on 22 August 2015.
- "San Vicente del Valle". Ayuntamiento de San Vicente del Valle.