Sanjay Kumar (activist)
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (January 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Sanjay Kumar (born 15 January 1976) is an Indian social/political activist. He is currently the deputy director of Aashray Adhikar Abhiyan, an organization in New Delhi that has worked for the rights of homeless people since 2000.
Kumar has been working in the fields of social work, social policy and research since 2000. His main focus typically lies on the issues of urban poverty, homelessness, underage employment, street dwelling children, old age pension, right to education, right to food and citizenship rights. Kumar is responsible for managing and implementing a campaign in Delhi with hundreds of volunteers to ensure access to shelters, health-care, skill development, and justice for marginalized people. He has been consistently organizing mass events/rallies, conducting census/surveys, documenting and researching interventions, establishing networks and advocacy groups with government departments, other NGOs, and movements. Kumar has been fighting against social inequality, discrimination and sensitizing civil society for the realization of the larger goal of poor people within India.
He is currently in the pursuit of a PhD in Homelessness from the University of Delhi. He has achieved a MSW (Master of Social Work), UGC, NET, a diploma in Journalism and Mass Communication, a diploma in Rural Development, BA (Honours) and MA in History.
Publications and documentations
- Treatment of Homeless people with severe Mental Illness: Making a Difference
- "Begharo Ki Karah" case studies of homeless people
- "Meri Kahani Meri Jubani" The Testimonies of homeless people caught Under Bombay Prevention Of Beggary Act: published in "People Without A Nation" "Towards Reclaiming Our Humanity" - Published by his own NGO Aashray Adhikar Abhiyan
Awards and fellowship
Sanjay Kumar has received a scholarship for an emerging social entrepreneur from Leader Quest organization situated in London, UK (2007–08). He was also presented with a "True Legend Award" in 2016 by CNBC-TV 18. He has been a member in the Chief Electoral officer, GNCT of Delhi for Homeless people. Additionally, he also holds an award for an actively monitored and guided Night Shelter Volunteer's program (Delhi Urban Shelter Improvement Board) presented to him in 2015. Kumar was also awarded by UBM India Ltd. for the "Giving Back" NGO in 2013 at Mumbai, India.
- "100 Pipers #TrueLegend: Sanjay Kumar". YouTube. 1 April 2016. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- "Home is where the heart isn't". Newindianexpress.com. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- "A clinic for Delhi's homeless addicts". Hindustantimes.com. 24 July 2016. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- "Rural-urban migration swell ranks of Delhi's homeless (Social Feature)". Business Standard. 10 August 2014. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- "PressReader.com - Connecting People Through News". Pressreader.com. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- "Independent Appeal: The people for whom identity cards are a precious". Independent.co.uk. 8 December 2009. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- "For homeless people voting a new experience". Indiatoday.intoday.in. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- "Street Clinic in Delhi Gives a Leg Up to the Homeless". Theepochtimes.com. 23 March 2015. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- "Great leap forward: Finally, Delhi's homeless find identity ahead of Assembly elections". Daily.bhaskar.com. 13 November 2013. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- "India: A Census of the Homeless". Hic-net.org. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- "Urban Update Dec 2014". Issuu.com. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- Sahni, Diksha (11 January 2011). "A Better Winter for the Homeless?". Blogs.wsj.com. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- "For homeless Delhi kids, winter means more sedatives". Theshillongtimes.com. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- "AAA in Delhi - a positive story". Jeninorissa.blogspot.in. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- "Home - THE DAYAFTER". Dayafterindia.com. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- "'Delhi's Anti-Beggar Drive Faces Practical Problem'". Outlookindia.com. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- "26th November: Notes from Constitution Club". Pensionparished.org. 26 December 2013. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- "Where Have The Beggars In Delhi Gone?". Indiatvnews.com. 3 October 2010. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- "Delhi's homeless now get a chance to vote - igovernment.in". Igovernment.in. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- "ID card issued by a Delhi based NGO, recognised by the poll panel". Theindiapost.com. 7 May 2009. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- "newkerala.com 24 x 7 Online News Channel". Newkerala.com. Retrieved 9 January 2018.