Santa Lucia Cloud Forest
|Santa Lucia Cloud Forest|
|Location||El Bosque Nublado Lodge, Santa Lucia|
|Nearest city||Quito, Ecuador|
Santa Lucia Cloud Forest (Spanish: Bosque Nublado Santa Lucía) is a cloud forest reserve, located about 80 km northwest of Quito, in the province of Pichincha, in Ecuador. This is at the far south of the southern phase of the Choco-Andean Rainforest Corridor. Rainforest Concern works with the Santa Lucia co-operative, a community-based conservation organisation dedicated to conservation and to sustainable development so that they can make a modest living whilst conserving their remaining cloud forest.
The community owns over 5 km2 (1,200 acres) of montane cloud forest, of which about 80% is still in its prime, virgin state and the area has now been declared part of a Bosque Protector (Protected Forest). The community-based organisation formed by local campesino families manage their own resources and they have three basic aims:
- to conserve and protect the cloud forest belonging to member families.
- to develop sustainable sources of income for the members of Santa Lucía.
- to benefit directly or indirectly the residents in neighboring areas.
- El Bosque Nublado Santa Lucia Conservation & Ecotourism Santa Lucia
- Santa Lucia Pics Volunteering in Santa Lucia
- Ecuador Ecotourism Rainforest Concern in Ecuador
|This Ecuador location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|