Santarcangelo di Romagna
|Santarcangelo di Romagna|
|Comune di Santarcangelo di Romagna|
|Province / Metropolitan city||Rimini (RN)|
|Frazioni||Canonica, La Giola, Montalbano, San Martino dei Mulini, San Michele, Sant'Ermete, San Vito|
|• Mayor||Alice Parma|
|• Total||45 km2 (17 sq mi)|
|Elevation||42 m (138 ft)|
|• Density||470/km2 (1,200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||St. Michael Archangel|
|Saint day||September 29|
Santarcangelo di Romagna (Romagnol: Santarcànzul) is a town and comune in the province of Rimini, Emilia-Romagna, Italy, on the Via Emilia. As of 2009, it had a population of some 21,300. It is crossed by two rivers, the Uso and the Marecchia.
- Triumphal Arch (1772–77) was designed by the architect Cosimo Morelli. In front of the Arch there is the Town Hall of the mid-1800s, built on designs by Giovanni Benedettini
- Monumental Public Grotto
- Historic and Archaeological Museum
- Collegiate Church, built between 1744 and 1758 by the architect Giovan Francesco
- Malatesta Fortress (private property of the Colonna family), built in 1386 and of a structure with three polygonal bastions completed by Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta in 1447
Santarcangelo dei Teatri is an international festival dedicated to the contemporary scene. The spectacles are held in the streets and squares of the city. It produces and promotes theatre and dance, with a special attention to interdisciplinary experiences and international cooperation dynamics.
Started in 1971 with a strong political impulse, Santarcangelo Festival was called “International Square Theatre Festival”. Under the art direction of Piero Patino, it wanted to weave political requests linked to the movements of 1968 and the folklore inborn in the cultural tradition of Romagna.
EVENTS IN SANTARCANGELO DI ROMAGNA
• Balconi di Fiori (Balconies in flowers) - (May) Flower competition and handcraft vendors, flower market that covers Saturday and Sunday, open until midnight.
• Santarcangelo Theatre Festival - (July) Mentioned above, it's one of Italy's foremost theatre festivals, dating from 1971. Ten days of open-air plays and performances with the traditional handcraft market, during the two weeks-ends of the event.
• Santarcangelo of the Painters - Sundays from 4.00 p.m. to 7.00 p.m
• Saint Michael’s Fair - (September 29) Tradition bird fair named for Santarcangelo's patron saint. Now dedicated to environmental themes, animals, plants and natural food.
• Saint Martin’s Fair - (November 11) One of the most varied fairs in Romagna, already famous in the fourteenth century. Originally annual livestock fair, it has now become an occasion for commerce, popular folklore and entertainment.
• Weekly Markets - Mondays(Piazza Ganganelli) and Fridays (Piazza and town centre).
• Calici di Stelle - (August)Wine Festival in Santarcangelo di Romagna.
• Game of the Tamburello - Sunday afternoons at the Sferisterio.
• Antique Market - (Piazza Ganganelli) The first Sunday of every month (except August). A busy and popular market with numerous stalls. Many of the things on sale are of local provenance.
- Official website
- Thayer's Gazetteer
- Santarcangelo dei Teatri (the annual theater festival)
- Santarcangelo di Romagna
- Santarcangelo di Romagna
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Santarcangelo di Romagna.|
|This article on a location in Emilia–Romagna is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|