Saskia Loretta van Erven Garcia
|Saskia Loretta van Erven García|
|Born||9 August 1987|
|Height||1.70 m (5 ft 7 in)|
|Weight||64 kg (141 lb)|
|Club||SchermCentrum Amsterdam / Valle del Cauca|
|FIE ranking||current ranking|
Saskia Loretta van Erven García (Rotterdam, August 29, 1987) is a Dutch-Colombian female fencer. At the 2012 Summer Olympics she competed in the Women's foil, and was defeated 9-14 in the second round by Carolin Golubytskyi. She was also defeated in the second round of the 2016 Olympics, by Aida Mohamed, 15-12.
Van Erven García studies journalism at a university in Amsterdam, while she trains fencing at SchermCentrum Amsterdam. Although she was born and raised in the Netherlands, she changed her fencing nationality to her mother's country Colombia in 2011, and represented Colombia at the 2012 Summer Olympics. Van Erven García's mother comes from Cali, Colombia.
She took up fencing at the age of 6 because her parents were involved in the sport. Indeed her mother, Gloria Garcia Pacheco, also represented Colombia internationally, winning a gold medal in the team foil at the 1971 Pan-American Games.
- "Saskia Van Erven, una colombiana formada en Holanda para los Juegos". El Tiempo (in Spanish). Retrieved 6 August 2012.
- Esgrimista colombiana Saskia Van Erven García se despide de JO
- "Saskia Loretta Van Erven Garcia Profile". london2012.com. Archived from the original on 28 January 2013. Retrieved 6 August 2012.
- "Primeras eliminaciones colombianas". Semana (in Spanish). 28 July 2012. Retrieved 6 August 2012.
- website (Dutch and Spanish) Schermnationaliteit (fencing nationality) "Daarvoor heb ik altijd voor Nederland geschermd, maar in juni 2011 heb ik mijn schermnationaliteit veranderd naar mijn moederland Colombia. De reden? Ik kan meer bereiken als Colombiaanse schermster."
- "Fencer - VAN ERVEN GARCIA Saskia Loretta - COLOMBIA - FIE - International Fencing Federation". fie.org. Retrieved 2017-04-19.
|This biographical article related to fencing in Colombia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|