|Meaning||It can have many different meanings depending on the kanji used.|
Satoru (さとる, サトル) is a Japanese verb meaning "to know" or "understand". It is a common masculine Japanese given name. Satoru is the root of the Zen Buddhist word Satori (悟り enlightenment).
Satoru can be written using different kanji characters and can mean:
- 悟る, "be spiritually awakened" or "attain higher perception"
- as a given name
- 悟, "enlightenment"
- 聡, "smart"
- 智, "wisdom"
- 知, "knowledge"
- 了, "understanding"
- 哲, "philosophy"
- 聖, "virtuous"
- 暁, "daybreak"
The name can also be written in hiragana or katakana.
- Satoru Abe (born 1926), American painter and sculptor
- Satoru Akahori (さとる), Japanese scriptwriter, novelist and manga author
- Satoru Asako (覚, born 1971) Japanese professional wrestler
- Satoru Ienishi (悟, born 1960), Japanese politician
- Satoru Iwata (聡, 1959-2015), fourth president and CEO of Nintendo
- Satoru Kobayashi (disambiguation), multiple people
- Satoru Komiyama (悟, born 1965), Japanese professional baseball player
- Satoru Kōsaki (暁, born 1974), Japanese music composer
- Satoru Miyano (宮野 悟, born 1954), Japanese bioinformatician
- Satoru Mizushima (総, born 1949), Japanese film maker
- Satoru Nakajima (悟, born 1953), Japanese racing driver
- Satoru Okada (智), general manager of Nintendo Research & Engineering
- Satoru Otomo (哲), a Japanese astronomer
- Satoru Sakaguchi (阪口 悟, born 1978), Japanese shogi player
- Satoru Sayama (聡, born 1957), Japanese professional wrestler
- Satoru Shibata, president of Nintendo of Europe
- Satoru Tanigawa (谷川 聡, born 1972), Japanese hurdler
- Satoru Yamagishi (智, born 1983), Japanese football player
- Yamamoto Satoru (山本 悟, 1925–2006), Grand Chamberlain of Japan
- Satoru Akashi (暁), the main hero of the tokusatsu series GoGo Sentai Boukenger
- Satoru Furuya (暁), a character in the manga and anime series Ace of Diamond
- Satoru Hani (悟), a character in the manga and anime series Shion no Ō
- Satoru Ikaruga (悟), the main character in the manga series D-Live!!
- Satoru Kanzaki (悟), a character in the manga and anime series Area 88
- Satoru Ohkura (大蔵 智), a character in the Japanese drama Atashinchi no Danshi
- Satoru Kamio (悟), a character in the manga and anime series Gingitsune
- Satoru Fujinuma (悟), the main character in the manga, anime, and film Boku Dake ga Inai Machi