HM Prison Edinburgh
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (February 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Managed by||Scottish Prison Service|
|Street address||33 Stenhouse Road|
|Postal code||EH11 3LN|
Her Majesty's Prison Edinburgh is located in the west of Edinburgh on the main A71, in an area now known as Stenhouse, and, although never named as such, has been popularly known as Saughton Prison from the old name for the general area. The prison is situated on the edge of a predominantly residential area and has good transport and road links to the city centre, which provides good access both for local courts and visitors to the prison. The building of the prison started on 31 July 1914 with the first prisoner being received in 1919. The prison currently consists of five halls; Glenesk, Hermiston, Ingliston, Ratho and The Digger.
Edinburgh receives prisoners from the courts in Edinburgh, the Lothians and the Borders. The prison holds adult male and no longer holds under-21 prisoners (YOs) and also convicted prisoners serving under four years. The prison also holds a female population in its Ratho hall. Long-term prisoners and Young Offenders when sentenced are held at Edinburgh awaiting transfer to their prison of allocation. Edinburgh also provides a national facility for prisoners at the pre-release stage of their sentence.
As of the 1 November 2011 healthcare is provided by the NHS. Previous to this it was provided through prison service employed nursing staff, with a GP and on call service provided by the healthcare staff provider (Medacs). Lloyds Pharmacy currently supplies medication through daily deliveries (Mon-Sat).
- Peter Tobin - Sentenced to life imprisonment with a whole life order for the murders of Angelika Kluk, Vicky Hamilton and Dinah McNicol.
- Kenny Richey - Served 21 years on death row in Ohio, and spent 6 months at HMP Edinburgh before being found not guilty of Serious Assault to permanent disfigurement and was released on 8 March 2009.
- Imran Shahid - Ringleader of a Pakistani gang, guilty of the abduction and racially motivated murder of Kriss Donald, a 15-year-old boy from Glasgow. He was sentenced to life imprisonment, with a minimum term of 25 years.
- Jamie Bain - who killed boxer Alex Mckinnon in a pub in Edinburgh with a shotgun, he received a life sentence with a minimum term of 25 years in 2007.
- Robert Bayne - Murderer of Zoe Nelson, serving a minimum of 20 years.
- Stephen Gough - A naked rambler repeatedly imprisoned for public nudity.
- Cameron Corsie - Fraudster and Money Launderer, repeatedly imprisoned for his role in organised crime. Son of world bowls champion Richard Corsie.
- Eduardo Paolozzi - Noted Scottish sculptor and artist was held here for three months during World War II due to his Italian heritage
- "Prisons: Edinburgh: HMP Edinburgh". Scottish Prison Service. Retrieved 26 July 2016.
- "HMP Edinburgh". Scottish Prison Service. Retrieved 2008-07-20.
- http://www.sehd.scot.nhs.uk/pca/PCA2011(M)15.pdf HEALTH BOARD PROVISION OF HEALTHCARE IN PRISONS (SCOTLAND) DIRECTIONS 2011
- Murderer of teen attacked in prison