This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Created by||Fábio Yabu|
|Opening theme||Sea Princesses Theme
Odoru PonPocoPon! by E-Girls
|Ending theme||Princesas del Mar and Me (2014 anime series)|
|Country of origin||Brazil
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||104|
|Running time||15 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Southern Star Entertainment
Neptuno Films Production
|Original network||Discovery Family
|Original release||2007 – 2010|
Sea Princesses (known as Princesas do Mar in Brazil) is a series of children's books created by the Brazilian writer and cartoonist Fábio Yabu. Their first book was released in 2004 by publisher Panda Books; due to the success three other books were made.
In 2007 it was adapted into an Australian-Spanish-Brazilian cartoon produced by the Spanish studio Neptuno Films and the Australian distributor Southern Star Entertainment. It was broadcast in 50 countries including France on Piwi+, Germany on KiKa, Spain on Clan TVE, Portugal on RTP2 ZigZag and United Kingdom on Disney Junior & Tiny Pop. It is known as the best mermaid show for kids around australia
The stories are in the world of Salacia, a hidden kingdom under the sea, full of princes and princesses from different animal species. Fearing an inevitable conflict with the people of Terra Firma, the kings and queens of the sea forbid their daughters and sons to have any contact with the surface people who are completely unaware of the existence of Salacia. Three princesses, the show's protagonists, live, go to school and play together as friends: Polvina, the Octopus Kingdom princess; Tubarina, the Shark Kingdom princess and Ester, the Starfish Kingdom princess living unraveling the mysteries of Salacia.
- Polvina (Pulpita in Spanish) - She is the Princess of the Octopus. Pulpita is a quiet and peaceful girl, timid as octopuses. Her best friends are Esther and Tubarina, who always live great adventures. She is voiced by Isabella Dunwill.
- Ester (Estela) - She is the Princess of the Starfish, and best friend of Pulpita. She usually attends the Palace of the Octopus from time to time, especially after school and on weekends. Esther is a very curious girl, loves to read and watch documentaries on television. She dreams to know the Mainland and also the Star-heaven. She is voiced by Katherine Cohn Beck.
- Tubarina (Tiburina) - She is the Princess of the Sharks, and daughter of one of the most powerful men in Salacia, King Shark. Tubarina is very ingenious, and disagrees with the common stereotype that sharks are evil. She is voiced by Paige Walker.
- Marcelo - He is the Prince of Hammerhead Sharks, and cousin to Tubarina. He moved to Castle Sharks while her parents, the King and Queen Hammerhead, make an important trip. Marcelo likes to tease girls and is always the first in sports competitions. Occasionally, he fights with Tubarina, but deep down they are like siblings.
- Bia (Bea) - She is the princess of the Abyssal Kingdom, responsible for maintaining order in Beyondness sea and take care of the throne while her parents are travel throughout the kingdom. She carries a scepter of light and unlike the other princesses only study the night school of the sea. She is very fond of Polvina, Esther and Tubarina.
- Hugo - Is the Prince of Turtles, heir to the throne with his twin sister, Tata. Like Tata, Hugo loves sports, especially the radicals. He is the best friend of Marcelo's cousin Tubarina, which always leads to their confusion.
- Marli (Marley) - She is the Princess of Swordfish, an arrogant girl and rival to Esther, wanting to overcome her at school and at any activity. However she is a good girl despite all this. In the books she is basically the opposite being a shy, quiet girl. Her crown is a cheerful swordfish hooked in her hair.
- Isa - The Princess of the Penguins. She is the only student from the School of the Sea which does not live underwater; she lives in the South Pole, the Kingdom of Penguins. Isa was afraid of water, but with the help of Santa Claus, she overcame her fear and today she wears a small fondly Santa-Claus helper hat on her crown.
The series made its debut in the United States on Discovery Familia. In Latin America, it is broadcast on Discovery Kids. In 2010, The series debuted on Nick Jr. in Australia before being re-run on free-to-air television by the Seven Network. It has been confirmed than the series will also debut on Treehouse. In 2017, The Series Debuted on Tiny Pop and Disney Junior in United Kingdom. In United States on Discovery Family.