Sean Smith (diplomat)
|Born||June 1, 1978|
|Died||September 11, 2012
|Residence||The Hague, Netherlands|
|Occupation||Information Management Officer|
|Employer||United States Foreign Service|
|Known for||Victim of the U.S. Consulate attack in Benghazi
Former member of the Council of Stellar Management in the MMO Eve Online
|Service/branch||United States Air Force|
|Years of service||1995–2002|
Sean Patrick Smith (June 1, 1978 – September 11, 2012) was an information management officer with the United States Foreign Service who was killed during the 2012 attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya.
Life and work
Smith was an only child and grew up in the Clairemont neighborhood of San Diego, California. He graduated from Mission Bay High School in 1995, enlisted in the United States Air Force in July 1995 and served for six years. He was a ground radio maintenance (2E) specialist and was promoted to staff sergeant in August 2000. He completed his military service in 2002. As a Foreign Service employee, he lived in The Hague, Netherlands, with his wife, Heather, and children, Samantha and Nathan.
Smith was known as a leading player and former member of the Council of Stellar Management in the Eve Online gaming community (under the username "Vile Rat") and was a moderator on the Something Awful forums. On the day of his death, Smith typed a message to the director of his online gaming corporation that read, "Assuming we don't die tonight. We saw one of our 'police' that guard the compound taking pictures." Eve Online's Council of Stellar Management published a tribute to Smith two days after Smith's death. Spontaneous reactions from the player base included a mass renaming of outposts throughout the game universe. Zack Parsons of Something Awful later organized a benefit for Smith's family, raising US$127,000.
- Gaudiosi, John (September 12, 2012). "Online Gamer Sean 'Vile Rat' Smith Killed in Libyan Attack". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved September 12, 2012.
- "Sean Patrick Smith". Findagrave.com. Retrieved December 28, 2015.
- Clinton, Hillary Rodham (September 12, 2012). "Statement on the Death of American Personnel in Benghazi, Libya" (Press release). U.S. Department of State. Retrieved December 28, 2015.
- Max, Nathan (September 17, 2012). "San Diegan slain in Libya attack 'lived to serve'". U-T San Diego. Retrieved December 28, 2015.
- Beckhusen, Robert (September 12, 2012). "Diplomat Killed in Libya Told Fellow Gamers: Hope I 'Don't Die Tonight'". Wired.com. Retrieved December 28, 2015.
- Totilo, Stephen (April 25, 2013). "The Amazing Life of Sean Smith, the Masterful Eve Gamer Slain in Libya". Kotaku. Retrieved December 15, 2013.
- Nuwer, Rachel (September 12, 2012). "US Official Killed in Libya Mourned by Online Gaming Community". Smithsonian.com. Retrieved December 28, 2015.
- Davies, Marsh (September 12, 2012). "EVE Online top player was US official killed in Libya". PC Gamer. Retrieved December 28, 2015.
- Sarlin, Benjy (September 12, 2012). "News Of Foreign Service Officer's Death Breaks Over Gaming Community". Talking Points Memo. Retrieved December 28, 2015.
- Heard, Mark (September 13, 2012). "A Tribute to Sean 'Vile Rat' Smith". EVEOnline.com. Retrieved December 28, 2015.
- "Renamed Stations". EVEOnline.com. Retrieved September 16, 2012.
- "Benefit for Sean Smith's Family". YouCaring.com. Retrieved November 1, 2013.