Sologamy is marriage by a person to himself or herself. Supporters of the practice argue that it affirms one's own value and leads to a happier life. Critics claim that it is a narcissistic practice which suggests low self-esteem.
Ceremonies may take almost exactly the same form as that of a regular marriage, including guests, cake, and a reception. Some self-marrying programs include giving guidance, practice, and support prior to the marriage.
Self-marriage has become increasingly popular in the 21st century, especially among affluent women. As of 2014[update] a travel agency in Kyoto was offering self-marriage packages for women, with some customers being wives who were disattisfied with their original wedding. British photographer Grace Gelder's self-marriage in 2014 and Italian fitness trainer Laura Mesi's self-marriage in 2017 have been widely reported.
Several television series have featured characters who married themselves. Those include Sue Sylvester in Glee, Carrie Bradshaw in Sex and The City, Holly Franklin in season 4 of The Exes, a middle-aged man in Jam, and The Red Guy in the episode "Comet!" of Cow and Chicken.
- Berg-Cross, Linda, et al. "Single professional women: A global phenomenon challenges and opportunities." Journal of International Women's Studies 5.5 (2013): 34-59.
- DePaulo, Bella (September 14, 2017). "Beyond Self-Love: What Marrying Yourself is Really All About". Psychology Today. Retrieved 2017-12-25.
- "About Self-Marriage". Self Marriage Ceremonies. Retrieved 2013-08-01.
- Cagen, Sasha (2004). Quirkyalone: A Manifesto for Uncompromising Romantics. New York: HarperSanFrancisco. ISBN 9780060578985.
- "Mulher se casa com ela mesma em Minas Gerais e atrai seguidores da 'sologamia'" [Woman marries herself in Minas Gerais and attracts followers of ‘sologamy’] (in Portuguese). Estadão. 28 May 2019.
- Cooper, Desiree. "Finding yourself in self-marriage." Detroit Free Press.
- McMillan, Mike. "Self-Marriage". Archived from the original on 2009-10-25.[unreliable source?]
- "General and detailed instructions for the bride, groom and officant [sic] for completing the marriage license application and original certificate of marriage". Department of Health & Family Services, State of Wisconsin. Archived from the original on September 11, 2002.
- Tali, Didem (December 22, 2017). "Why growing numbers are saying 'yes' to themselves". BBC News.
- "Self Marriage Ceremonies - Peace in our hearts. Peace in the world". Self Marriage Ceremonies. Retrieved 2016-03-09.
- Burrows, Matt (October 6, 2017). "The ins and outs of marrying yourself". Newshub. New Zealand.
- "Japan: 'Solo weddings' for single women". News from Elsewhere (blog). BBC News. December 22, 2014. Retrieved 2017-12-25.
- Gelder, Grace; Cunard, Nick (October 4, 2014). "I married myself". The Guardian. Retrieved 2017-12-25.
- Bort, Ryan (September 27, 2017). "What Is Self-Marriage? Italian Woman Weds Herself in Lavish Ceremony". Newsweek. Retrieved 2017-12-25.
- Teeman, Tim (December 30, 2014). "Why Singles Should Say 'I Don't' to The Self-Marriage Movement". The Daily Beast. Retrieved 2017-12-25.
- Peretti, Jacques (March 24, 2000). "Electric dreams". The Guardian. Retrieved 2008-06-24.
- The dictionary definition of sologamist at Wiktionary