|Revenue||€3.9 billion (FY 2015)|
Number of employees
|Footnotes / references
Servier Laboratories (French: Laboratoires Servier, often abbreviated to Servier) is a privately owned French pharmaceutical company that specialises in medication for cardiological and rheumatological conditions, as well as for diabetes and clinical depression. The consolidated turnover for the 2015 financial year was €3.9 billion. Servier is the leading French independent pharmaceutical company, and the second largest French pharmaceutical company worldwide. It has branches in 140 countries, achieving 82% of its sales outside France. The annual sales of its ACE inhibitor, Coversyl (perindopril), in 2006 and 2007 exceeded 1 billion US dollars, making it Servier's highest-selling product.
The company reportedly invests a little under 25% of its turnover in research and development, which occupies 3,000 of its 21,200 employees worldwide. The company's production sites produced 853 million drug boxes in 2013.
The Servier Clinical Support Unit in Gidy (near Orléans), which produces drugs for clinical trials, is the largest unit of its kind in Europe. Servier Laboratories is a full member of the European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations (EFPIA).
Mediator, an amphetamine-based Servier drug originally developed for weight loss in people with diabetes but often prescribed off-label as a dieting aid, was withdrawn from the market after being linked to 500–2000 deaths in France. Further investigations found that many previous safety alerts on that drug had been either missed or covered up, possibly through improper influence of the company.
- Gliclazide (Diamicron, Diamicron MR) — antidiabetic drug
- Indapamide (Fludex SR, Natrilex SR, Lozide) — diuretic
- Ivabradine (Procoralan) — antianginal drugs
- Perindopril (Coversyl) — ACE inhibitor
- Strontium ranelate (Protelos) — osteoporosis agent
- Tianeptine (Stablon) — antidepressant, indirect alteration of AMPA and NMDA glutamate receptor activity
- Trimetazidine (Vastarel MR) — antianginal drug.
- Agomelatine (Valdoxan, Melitor, Thymanax)
- Almitrine (Duxil, Vectarion)
- Amineptine (Survector, Maneon, Directim)
- Benfluorex (Mediaxal)
- Carbutamide (Glucidoral)
- Daflon 500
- Fenspiride (Pneumorel)
- Fotemustine (Muphoran)
- Fusafungine (Locabiotal)
- Gliclazide (Diamicron)
- Indapamide (Natrilix, Tertensif, Lozide)
- Perindopril (Coversyl, Prestarium)
- Perindopril/indapamide (Preterax, Coversyl Plus)
- Piribedil (Trivastal retard)
- Rilmenidine (Hyperium)
- Sodium alginate (Pseudophage)
- Sulbutiamine (Arcalion)
- Tertatolol (Artex)
- Vitamins (Vitathion)
As well as internal research and development activities, Servier undertakes publicly funded collaborative research projects with industrial and academic partners. One example, in the area of non-clinical safety assessment, is the InnoMed PredTox. The company is expanding its activities in joint research projects within the framework of the Innovative Medicines Initiative of EFPIA and the European Commission.
In addition to these, Servier engages in research and licensing collaborations across the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry. These collaborations include:
- In Cardiology: XENTION (UK, 2013), AMGEN (USA, 2013), MIRAGEN (USA, 2011), ARMGO (USA, 2006)
- In Diabetes: INTARCIA (USA, 2014)
- In Metabolic diseases: INTERCEPT - TGR5 agonists (USA, 2011), GENFIT (FR, 2004)
- In Neurology (MS): GENEURO (CH, 2014)
- In Oncology: CTI BIOPHARMA (USA, 2014), NOVARTIS (CH, 2014), CELLECTIS (FR, 2014), NERVIANO (IT, 2013), EOS (IT) / CLOVIS (USA, 2012), BIOINVENT (SE, 2012), MACROGENICS (USA, 2011/12), GALAPAGOS (NDL, 2011), BIOREALITES (FR, 2011), PHARMACYCLICS - HDAC inhibitor (USA, 2009), HYBRIGENICS (FR, 2007/2011) VERNALIS (UK, 2007/2011)
- In Orphan Diseases/Cardiology/Diabetes: XOMA (USA, 2010)
- In Osteoporosis & Osteoarthritis: OSTEOLOGIX (USA, 2010), GALAPAGOS (NDL, 2010), KAROS (USA, 2010), NORDIC BIOSCIENCE (DK, 2006/2010)
- "Key figures". Servier. Retrieved 2015-02-03.
- "History". Servier. Retrieved 2015-02-03.
- "SERVIER - Pharmaceutical company specialized in cardiology, diabetes, rheumatology, depression". Retrieved 2007-07-08.
- "Servier UK - Key figures". Retrieved 2007-07-08.
- "The Pharmaceutical Industry in Figures - 2008 Edition". European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations (EFPIA). p. 49. Archived from the original on 2008-09-16. Retrieved 2008-08-25.
- Article of the Figaro about Mediator
- Un doute sur la «sécurité» du Mediator dès 1998 - Libération
- "SERVIER - product portfolio". Archived from the original on 2007-07-02. Retrieved 2007-07-08.
- Mattes, William B. (2008). "Public Consortium Efforts in Toxicogenomics". In Mendrick, Donna L.; Mattes, William B. Essential Concepts in Toxicogenomics. Methods in Molecular Biology. 460. pp. 221–238. doi:10.1007/978-1-60327-048-9_11. ISBN 978-1-58829-638-2. PMID 18449490.
- "InnoMed PredTox Member Organizations". Archived from the original on 2008-09-26. Retrieved 2008-08-25.
- Innovative Medicines Initiative. "IMI Call Topics 2008". IMI-GB-018v2-24042008-CallTopics.pdf. European Commission. Retrieved 2008-08-25.[dead link]