Sevan Bıçakçı (born 1965 in Istanbul, Turkey) is a famed Turkish jeweller of Armenian descent. He is one of the few renowned jewelers in Turkey and is known around the world. He is considered a "star jeweler" in Turkey.
Life and career
Of Armenian descent,Sevan Bıçakçı was born in 1965 in the Fatih district of Istanbul, Turkey. He is known as the King of Rings. At the age of 12, his father, who was a theater actor, placed Sevan under the apprenticeship of Hovsep Catak in the Grand Bazaar of Istanbul. After serving 4 years of apprenticeship, his master died. However, he had learned a great deal about jewellery design and craftsmanship. He then opened a workshop in order to serve bigger manufacturers as a freelance jewel designer. He worked on his first collection for a year before unveiling it in the global market in 2002. His jewelry designs are that of Byzantine and Ottoman styles. Some of Sevan Bıçakçı's famous clientele include Catherine Zeta-Jones, Elizabeth Hurley, Celine Dion, Liv Tyler, Mariah Carey, Brooke Shields, Angie Harmon, Kim Raver, Halle Berry, Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen, Michelle Monaghan, and Tory Burch.
Sevan Bıçakçı has received many distinguished awards such as:
- Town and Country Couture Award. (Three times in a row).
- Turkish Gold Design Award
- He was nominated for the Jameel Prize Award
- He was also nominated as the top five most noteworthy free lance jewelry designers by the Tanzanite Foundation.
- "Muslim art in hand of an Armenian". Hurriyet. Retrieved 13 March 2013.
- "Middle Eastern jewellery designers take centre stage at Christie's". Ameinfo. Retrieved 13 March 2013.
- M. Forte, Pauline (February 12, 2009). "Turkish delights: The Ringmaster". The Gulf News. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- "Sevan Bicakci". Womenist. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- "SEVAN BICAKCI: "Lord of the Rings"". Oster Jewellers. Retrieved 26 November 2012.