Shaft's Big Score
|Shaft's Big Score!|
Original theatrical release poster by John Solie
|Directed by||Gordon Parks|
|Produced by||Roger Lewis
|Written by||Ernest Tidyman|
|Based on||characters created by
Drew Bundini Brown
|Music by||Gordon Parks|
|Edited by||Harry Howard|
Shaft's Big Score! is a 1972 American Neo Noir action film starring Richard Roundtree as the private detective John Shaft. Directed by Gordon Parks, this is the second film in the trilogy. Ernest Tidyman once more supplied the screenplay. The first film's composer Isaac Hayes was unavailable, so Parks, the returning director, did the score himself. The film was produced on a budget of $1,978,000.
While New York is never at a loss for criminal activity, things take a turn for the worse when the corrupt co-owner of a funeral parlor and insurance agency kills his partner, a personal friend of John Shaft, only to discover that the money he was planning to steal to pay his gambling debts is missing. He makes a deal with the mobster he owes (Joseph Mascolo) to split the business but also makes the same deal with crime lord Bumpy Jonas (Moses Gunn). The bullets start flying when the hoods find they've been played against each other, and Shaft is forced to clean up the mess.
- Richard Roundtree as John Shaft
- Moses Gunn as Bumpy Jonas
- Drew Bundini Brown as Willy
- Joseph Mascolo as Gus Mascola
- Kathy Imrie as Rita
- Wally Taylor as Johnny Kelly
- Julius Harris as Capt. Bollin (as Julius W. Harris)
- Rosalind Miles as Arna Asby
- Joe Santos as Pascal
It earned estimated North American rentals of $4 million.
- "Shaft's Big Score, Box Office Information". The Numbers. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- Greenspun, Roger (1972-06-22). "Something Happened on Way to the Sequel:Roundtree Returns in 'Shaft's Big Score". The New York Times. Retrieved 2011-06-12.
- "Shaft's Big Score". Chicago Sun Times. Retrieved 2011-06-12.
- "Updated All-time Film Champs", Variety, 9 January 1974 p 60
|This 1970s crime film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|