|Known for||Contemporary art, graffiti, Street Art, public art|
|Movement||Street Art, Contemporary|
|Awards||TEDxGoteborg keynote speaker, United Buddy Bear , Sjuhärad Top-20 most successful talents|
Shai Dahan (born 1979) is an American contemporary painter and street artist who works with painting, drawing, illustrations and installations.
In 2007, Dahan moved to New York City where he participated in street-art projects such as the NYSAT, Underbelly Project, and MOM&POPism. He also began to exhibit his art with galleries in Los Angeles, New York, Boston, and Philadelphia. In July 2012, Shai received recognition for his solo exhibition at the Borås Art Museum in Sweden. He was later featured as the opening keynote speaker at TEDx Göteborg in October 2012. Shai was also awarded to paint a two-meter United Buddy Bear for the city of Borås in Sweden. A limited edition version of the United Buddy Bears were also created by Shai as part of the Borås Buddy Bear Mini Festival in December.
In 2014 Dahan curated No Limit Borås Street Art Festival in Borås, Sweden. The festival, which was first announced in September 2013, composed of both international Street-Artists as well as Swedish artists. Artists who participated in the first No Limit festival included Natalia Rak (Poland), ECB Hendrik (Germany), Kobra (Brazil), Etam Cru (Poland), Ollio (Sweden), Carolina Falkholt (Sweden), Ekta (Sweden), Issac Cordal (Spain).Peeta (Italy) and The London Police (Netherlands). The festival was funded and organized by BoråsBorås (part of the Borås Stad Municipality).
Life and career
Shai Dahan was born in Haifa, Israel and moved to the United States in 1989. He began his art career in Los Angeles, where he was highly involved with the skateboarding and surf culture. At 14, Dahan was introduced to the graffiti culture and started to create graffiti influenced art. In his early 20's, he continued painting urban influenced art on skateboards and surfboards for projects and charities, including "Life Rolls On" charity in Los Angeles as well as STOKED Mentoring in NYC.
Shortly after moving to Manhattan in 2007, Dahan took part in the New York Street Advertising Takeover through Public Ad Campaign. Since then, Dahan also took part in the Toranto Street Advertising Takeover, as well as the Madrid Street Advertising Takeover.
In 2009, Dahan participated in MOM&POPism, a project presented by Gawker Media to present street-artist painting over the photographs of James and Karla Murray. The project was published as a book in 2011 by Gingko Press.
Dahan also designed the Spirit Award for Stoked Mentoring which honored pro skateboarder Rob Dyrdek. The award was created by Dahan and given to Rob at the event held in Los Angeles in December, 2009.
In mid 2010, Dahan was part of the Underbelly Project in New York City. He was one of 103 other street-artists invited as a select group to paint an abandoned subway station. The project, which received much media attention through the New York Times and London Times, was also published as a book titled "We Own The Night" in 2012 through Rizzoli Publication.
After moving to Sweden in late 2010, Dahan continued to exhibit internationally, as well as in Scandinavia including solo exhibitions in Gothenburg and Stockholm and most notably, a solo exhibit at the Modern Art Museum in Borås, Sweden. This was the first time the museum invited an artist from a graffiti/street-art background.
In January 2012 the Borås Art Museum invited Dahan for a solo exhibition to run from May until September 2012. The exhibition was the first time the museum invited an artist with a graffiti/street-art background to do an exhibition. As part of the museum exhibit, Dahan was invited by the city of Borås to add a permanent mural in the city center for their bi-annual International Sculpture Festival. The mural of two running Dala Horses at the city center at Sandvallplats eventually was used on the publication cover for the city of Borås quarterly magazine for the end quarter of 2012.
In May 2012, Dahan travelled to Bethlehem in palestinian territories. The trip was documented for a documentary film titled "Art on the Seam" and produced by David Freid and is due to release in late 2012. Dahan painted a large 5 meter mural of an Arab bedouin on the West Bank Barrier wall in Bethlehem after spending 3 days in palestinian territories. In October 2012, Dahan gave a keynote at TEDx Gotebörg titled "Beyond Borders." His keynote at TEDx was about his trip to Palestine and the mural he painted there.
In December, Shai was awarded in the city of Borås (Sweden) to create a two-meter United Buddy Bear. The sculpture was hand painted by Shai with the Swedish Dala Horse patterns that he normally combines to his artworks. The Buddy Bear was then revealed at a ceremony and installed permanently at the city tourist bureau. The city also introduced a limited edition mini versions of the bear Shai created. The edition mini bears were awarded to local sponsors of the Borås Buddy Bear Mini Festival.
Techniques and themes
Throughout his career, Dahan has used different techniques for his outdoor artwork as well as his gallery collection. This includes stencil, wheatpasting, as well as using both acrylics, oils and spraypaint. Dahan creates hybrids of the urban arts culture mixed with fine art work. In the past, Dahan created his now much recognizable "BirdGun" series which depicts birds with weapons for their heads. This theme eventually grew into including other animals with guns for their heads including a series of DeerGuns, Elkguns, and others.
After moving to Sweden in 2010, Dahan began to create a new reinvention of the Swedish Dala Horse (Dalecarlian horse). Dahan began to paint the Swedish traditional Dala Horse as a realistic horse that carries the Kurbits colors and patterns of the original wooden statuettes. Shortly after creating a few illegal Dala Horse wheatpastes around neighborhoods in Sweden, Dahan's paintings began to generate media attention. After his Dala Horses were published in the newspaper in the city of Borås (Borås Tidning) as well as at Gothenburg Posten publication in Gothenburg, Dahan began to get much attention for his Dala Horse painting and has been mostly recognized in Scandinavian countries for his technique of painting wild horses as the historic Dalahästs.
- 2013 (November) : Dagens Industri Weekend, Scandinavia
- 2013 (April) : The Business Magazine, Scandinavia
- 2012 (November) : NORR Magazine, Scandinavia
- 2012 (November) : Dalarna Tidningar, Sweden
- 2012 (November) : Gothenburg Posten, Sweden
- 2012 (November) : SUOD Online Magazine, Sweden
- 2012 (July) : Residence Magazine, Sweden
- 2012 (July) : Borås Tidning
- 2012 (June) : Borås Tidning
- 2012 (May) : Borås Tidning
- 2011 (September) : Borås Tidning
- 2011 (June) : Gothenburg Posten
- 2011 (May) : Metro Newspaper Gothenburg
- 2010 : YRB Magazine
- 2013 : Boras Tidning interview
- 2013 : Fria Tidning interview
- 2012 (May) : Gothenburg Expressen
- 2012 (May) Brooklyn Street Art
- 2011 (August) : SVT Radio
- 2011 (June): Gothenburg Posten
- 2011 (January) : Street Giant
- 2011 (May) : Brooklyn Street Art
- 2013 (September) : SverigeRadio (Sweden) 
- 2013 (June) : SverigeRadio (Sweden) 
- 2012 (November) : Nyheter P4 Sjuhärad (Sweden) 
- 2011 (August) : Nyheter P4 Sjuhärad (Sweden) 
- 2011 (July) : Nyheter P4 Sjuhärad (Sweden) 
- Announced 2014 Charity Solo show in Stockholm, Sweden
- Announced 2014 Solo show C.A.V.E. Gallery, Venice, California
- Announced 2014 Solo show @ AGalley Gothenburg
- 2013 exhibition at Lars Bolin Gallery, Östersund, Sweden
- 2012 exhibition at A-Gallery, Gothenburg, Sweden
- 2012 Solo exhibition at Borås Museum of Modern Art, Borås Sweden
- 2012 "Vice & Virture"Solo exhibition at The Scarlett Gallery, Stockholm, Sweden
- 2011 “Things Come Undone” Artspace+Us Gallery, Gothenburg Sweden
- 2010 “Natural Selections” Vincent Michael Gallery, Philadelphia USA 
- 2010 “Reservoir Art” Grey Dog, New York USA
- 2009 “Deck the Wall” Tiny’s Giant, New York USA
- 2009 “Dog eat Dog” Grey Dog, New York USA
- 2008 “Gothamist House” CMJ, Brooklyn USA
Selected group shows
- 2013 Group exhibition at Stroke Urban Art Festival, Munich, Germany
- 2012 Group exhibition at A-Gallery, Gothenburg, Sweden
- 2012 “Stencil Art” Galleri Olson, Malmö, Sweden
- 2012 Group show at Art Whino, Maryland USA
- 2011 “Holiday Bazaar” Crewest Gallery, Los Angeles USA 
- 2011 “Robots Will Kill Friends” Mighty Tanaka Gallery, Brooklyn USA 
- 2011 “Above the Radar II” Fridge Gallery, Washington USA
- 2011 “Anything Goes” Phantom Gallery, New York USA
- 2011 “Heavy Hitters” Andimos, Springfield USA
- 2011 “Heavy Hitters II” Mad Art Gallery, St. Louis USA
- 2011 “Six Degrees of Separation” Crewest Gallery, Los Angeles USA
- 2010 “Friends with Knives” Crewest Gallery, Los Angeles USA
- 2010 “Rogue Status X Abztract” Rogue Status Venue, Venice USA
- 2010 “Stokenphobia” Pandemic Gallery, Brooklyn USA
- 2009 “Art Strikes Back” Art Asylum Gallery, Boston USA
- 2009 “MBP Urban Art Festival” Brooklyn, USA
- 2009 “Abztract Collective” Pandemic Gallery, Brooklyn USA
- 2009 “Mom&Popism” Gawker Media, New York USA
- 2009 “Alt/Art” Gawker Media, New York USA
- 2009 “Life Rolls On II” Los Angeles, USA
- 2008 “Life Rolls On I” Los Angeles, USA
- 2013 Musikhjälpen 2013, Gothenburg, Sweden
- 2013 Aqueduct Mural Project, Queens, New York 
- 2013 Art Basel Murals, Wynwood, Miami 
- 2013 Announcement of No Limit Street-Art Festival, Sweden 
- 2013 Launch of EAST 39th on east39.se 
- 2013 Project Playground Charity Mural, Cape Town South Africa 
- 2013 Philofix Television show appearance, Sweden
- 2013 7Tree Skateboards Collaboration, Sweden
- 2013 Mural At Monumental Art Festival, Gdansk, Poland
- 2013 Mural At Sand, Sea, Spray Urban Art Festival, Blackpool, UK
- 2013 Mural At Stroke Urban Art, Munich, Germany
- 2013 Mural At Subtopia, Stockholm, Sweden
- 2013 H&M X Weekday collaboration, Sweden
- 2013 Gina Tricot Grand Prix Collaboration, Sweden
- 2013 Mural At Liseberg Hotel, Gothenburg, Sweden
- 2013 Collaboration With Seger Europe, Sweden
- 2013 Limited Edition Skateboard Release With 7Tree Skateboards, Sweden
- 2013 Mural At Pulsen, Borås, Sweden
- 2012 Limited Edition Mini Buddy Bears, Borås, Sweden
- 2012 Live Painting Of Buddy Bear, Borås, Sweden
- 2012 Keynote Speaker At Tedx Goteborg
- 2012 Live Painting Of Buddy Bear UNICEF For Boras, Sweden
- 2012 Mural For Gothenburg Culture Festival, Sweden
- 2012 Elvine Clothing Collaboration Release, Worldwide
- 2012 Palestine trip, mural at the wall in Bethlehem, Palestine
- 2012 Mural painting for Sculpture Festival, Borås, Sweden
- 2012 BLK DNM in-store art show, Stockholm Sweden
- 2012 Graffiti Lecture at Särla Skolan
- 2012 Mural painting at Kronobergsgatan, Stockholm USA
- 2012 The Underbelly Project Book release, Worldwide 
- 2011 Live painting at Ambience 2012, Sweden
- 2011 Kollektivet Livet Live Painting, Stockholm Sweden
- 2011 Mom&Popism Graffiti book release, Worldwide
- 2011 Fashion Days Live Painting for Fashion Days, Borås Sweden
- 2011 Avalon Hotel Live Painting for KulturKalas Gothenburg Sweden
- 2011 Grand Hotel Live Painting, Borås Sweden
- 2011 “STCC Street Race Dinner Mural Live Painting” Port Du Soleil, Gothenburg Sweden
- 2011 Port Du Soleil outdoor live painting, Gothenburg Sweden
- 2011 Madrid Street Ad Takeover, Madrid Spain
- 2010 “Underbelly” project, New York USA
- 2010 Toronto Street Ad Takeover, Toronto Canada
- 2009 New York Street Ad Takeover, New York USA
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shai Dahan.|
- "The Language of Street-Art: Shai Dahan at TEDxGöteborg". YouTube - TedxTalks.
- "United Buddy Bear".
- "No Limit Street-Art Festival".
- "3rd Annual Night By The Ocean Auction Catalog" (PDF).
- "Abztract supports STOKED AWARDS 2009". BirdGunBlog.
- "New York Street Advertising Takeover, Episode 2". Unurth Street Art.
- "Toronto Street Advertising Takeover". publicadcampaign.com.
- "Madrid Street Advertising Takeover". publicadcampaign.com.
- "mom & popism". designboom.
- Mom & Popism [Board Book]. Gingko Press. 2011. ISBN 1584234210.
- "PICS FROM SPIRIT OF THE HOLIDAY". Stoked.
- "The Underbelly Project".
- "The Underbelly Project". The New York Times.
- We Own the Night: The Art of the Underbelly Project [Paperback]. Rizzoli. 2012. ISBN 0789324946.
- "STCC @ PORT DU SOLEIL BILDER". finest.
- "Tidigare utställningar". boras.se.
- "Borås Internationella Skulpturbiennal 2012". boras.se.
- "Boras Magazine". The Vacant Wall.
- "Art on the Seam".
- "NEW PIECE ON PALESTINE WALL BY SHAI DAHAN". Brooklyn Street Art.
- "Shai Dahan – Street-Artist".
- "TedxGoteborg YouTube".
- "AnimalNY Birdgun".
- "Flickr Deergun".
- "Borås Tidning". The Vacant Wall.
- "Gatukonst på ny vägg". GP.
- "URBAN ARTIST / PAINTER". a gallery.
- We Own the Night: The Art of the Underbelly Project [Hardcover]. Rizzoli. 2012. ISBN 0789324954.
- "TV: Se när Shai Dahan skapar ett konstverk - på tre minuter".
- "Lekfullt möte mellan graff och popkultur". Fria Tidning.
- "Konst som gror i asfalten". Gothenburg Expressen.
- "Kulturkalaset med två sjuhäringar". SVT Radio.
- "Gatukonst på ny vägg". Gothenburg Posten.
- "Introducing Shai Dahan of Abztract". Street Giant.
- "SHAI DAHAN IN SWEDEN, NATURALLY. READYING FOR NEW SOLO SHOW". Brooklyn Street Art.
- "TedX sprider idéer bortom gränser". TV4.
- "Gigantiska målningar ska pryda Borås väggar".
- "Shai Dahan utmanar boråsarna".
- "Buddy Bear på plats i Borås".
- "Kulturkalaset med två sjuhäringar".
- "Graffiti på tapeten".
- "Lars Bolin solo exhibition".
- "A Gallery solo exhibition".
- "Boras Museum solo exhibition".
- "Scarlett Gallery solo exhibition".
- "Vincent Michael Gallery solo exhibition".
- "Crewest Holiday Bizzare group show".
- "Mighty Tanaka Gallery group show".
- "Forbes Magazine Aqueduct Murals".
- "Street Art News Web".
- "No Limit Festival Press Release".
- "EAST 39th Web".
- "Project Playground".
- "Underbelly Project Book Amazon".