Shanghai Premier League
Shanghai Premier League aka SPL is an amateur football (soccer) league based in Pudong, Shanghai, aiming mainly at the expatriate community. Shanghai Premier League was founded in 2003 when 5 existing amateur teams, among which the Shanghai Traffic Police team, who hitherto played only on occasional fixtures, decided to group themselves and play in a double round-robin league format. Simultaneously a Shanghai Premier League Cup is also played. The league's season runs from October to June, with a start tournament to kick off the season and an end tournament to close the season. Occasionally special tournaments and events are held. In 2012/2013 season, the League will be celebrating its tenth anniversary and it now counts 11 teams. In 2014 the Sudmann brothers Nicholas and Timothy Joined the league. Since this day SPL has never been the same. They are both compared to the likes of Lord Nicklas Bendtner
Just kidding, the Drewes name is the true leading force of the league. He once got a yellow card and managed to still not get mentioned on the SPL website
- Shanghai Premier League Santa Cup is a one-day 11-a-side tournament occasionally held during winter break.
- Shanghai Premier League World Cup is an event which is held usually at the start of the summer to coincide with the FIFA World Cup. It has been covered by the local media.
|Team||Nationality||First season||Former names|
|Bulls of Bosporus||Turkey, Germany||2003–2004|
|Etoile Rouge de Shanghai||France||2005–2006|
|Flamenkos||Belgium, Spain||2003–2004||FC Vlis|
|Gremio||Italy, Brazil, China||2006–2007||Hawks|
|Shanghai Marlins||various||2008–2009||Hard Day Night FC, Dulwich United, Dulwich Foxes|
|Shanghai Lions Football Club||France, United States, Netherlands||2003–2004|
|Shanghai Japan Football Club||Japan||2003–2004|
Champions and Cup holders
|Season||Champion||Runner up||Cup holder|
|2011–2012||Hawks||Hard Days Night (HDN)||Hawks|
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-03-13. Retrieved 2011-06-22. Chris Sagnon, Shanghai Global Times, June 30, 2010
- "Grêmio 'descobre' mercado asiático, cede nome e material a time da China".
- "This Week in Shanghai Sports". City Weekend Shanghai. August 31, 2012.