Shaped by Fate
|Shaped By Fate|
Shaped By Fate in Berlin, Germany, 2011
|Origin||South Wales, UK|
|Genres||Metalcore, technical metalcore, mathcore, progressive metal|
Shaped By Fate is a 5 piece metalcore band from South Wales (UK), formed in late 2001 and lauded as "the future of British Metalcore" by Kerrang! magazine which described the band's music as "some of the tastiest, heaviest, most shredding metal this island's seen in a long time".
Shaped By Fate is one of the South Wales scene's most influential veteran bands, having toured all over the UK and Europe with the likes of Parkway Drive, Suicide Silence, The Chariot, Every Time I Die, Becoming the Archetype, Bury Your Dead, Raging Speedhorn, Funeral for a Friend, Sikth and many more.
Having consistently released highly acclaimed EPs in the past, Shaped By Fate released their debut album The Unbeliever in 2007 through In At The Deep End Records (Gallows, Architects, Send More Paramedics) and digitally throughout the rest of the world via Distort Entertainment of Canada (Alexisonfire, Architects, Cancer Bats, City and Colour). The album was recorded in Foel Studios, Wales, with Boston producer Andrew Schneider (Cave In, Keelhaul, Pelican, The Red Chord).
The band released a limited edition DVD filmed during the Parkway Drive Tour at the end of 2008, entitled Riffage and Wreckage. The band's crazily energetic live shows have become well known and respected throughout the UK and Europe and, despite various line up changes, the band is going from strength to strength, and is touring extensively.
In early 2011 Shaped By Fate signed a deal with Siege Of Amida Records to release their second album (four years in the making) entitled I Fear The World Has Changed.
- Paul Fortescue - vocals (2006–present)
- Luke Grahame - guitar (2001–present)
- Richey Beckett - guitar (2001–present)
- Lee Jenkins - bass (2001–present)
- Carl Richards - drums (2007–present)
- Ben Duffin-Jones - vocals (2001–2006)
- Gareth Eveliegh - drums (2001–2003)
- Nic Smalls - drums (2003)
- Owen Weeks - drums (2003–2005)
- Jay Thurley - drums (2005–2007)
- Shaped By Fate (Demo 2002)
- The Fire Which In The Heart Resides (split EP, Mighty Atom Records, 2004)
- Brightest Lights Cast The Darkest Shadows (EP, Beniihana Records, 2005)
- The Unbeliever (LP, In At The Deep End Records, 2007)
- I Fear The World Has Changed (LP, Siege of Amida Records, 2012)
- Guitarist Luke Grahame is, despite playing left-handed, actually right-handed. A windsurfing accident severed 1 finger on his left hand, prompting him to flip the guitar over and relearn as a left-handed player.
- Former drummer Owen Weeks also played for Burning Skies, Losing Sun, and Adequate 7 (featuring on Adequate 7's Maida Vale session for BBC Radio 1). He left the band to become a surgeon.
- Singer Paul Fortescue started Hogslayer in 2012. A sludge Metal band based in Cardiff. He is currently studying History at Cardiff University, Wales.
- They Told Me You Were Dead (2008)